Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote some days ago about having had 2 surgeries and a 3 week hospital stay. After I was discharged my bowels were perfect but started constipating. I took senna and then the nightmare began. I have been on Dicetel and taking lactulax (a laxative ) for over a week now. My BMs have been minimal and the pain is still there. TOday I forgot the Dicetel and I had a little better BM but then the pain got bad. I'm getting so depressed about this whole thing. The pain is disruptive and at times disabling, I can't plan, I can't do my normal activities, sometimes I can hardly walk. I have 2 little kids and my husband has been mom and dad for the last 2 months, when this nightmare started. My surgeon and GP are not being of any help. I want my life back!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Are you off any of the pain pill you may have been taking from the surgery? Are you drinking a lot of water (at least 64 ounces a day)?As much as it hurts to walk the more you can move the more that helps your bowels move.Are you eating regular meals? Some people stop eating and that also slows down the gut. If you can't move much at least try some yoga positions especially ones that twist the torso and move slowly through a short set of those several times a day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part of my discouragement comes from the fact that I am doing everything I am supposed to to get things moving. I tapered of the pain meds and stopped them about 10 days ago, just took one 3 nights ago because I haven't gotten much sleep. I drink enough water and, despite the pain, I walk 30-40 minutes every day. ( I started out by walking 12 minutes but have slowly increased it). I've been eating enough. I was improving until last night I had a chicken soup with veggies and rice. After I finished the pain started, and hasn't stopped.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Were any of these abdominal surgeries? Sometimes you can get adhesions from the scar tissue that can cause problems with abdominal pain (and it will be worse after eating when the colon is more active. Small volume light meals eaten frequently can help to keep some of the colon activity lower)Unfortunately sometimes there isn't much to do other than get you into a program to help you manage pain without a lot of pain pills. Depends on where they are but surgery to release an adhesion can create new scars and new adhesions so it can be a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a horrible afternoon/night. I felt like vomiting (I'm emetophobic ) and didn't pass any gass the whole day. My belly was swollen much more on one side and I was convinced I had an obstruction. I didn't sleep all night thinking I'd have another surgery, abandon my little kids for a week etc. I called the doctor and he'll see me today, but he changed the medication to something called Libertrim, it's something that increases the motility of the GI system. I don't know why he didn't give me this when my symptoms started instead of the antismpasmodic. Today I feel much better, the pain is better than it has been since it started and I had a BM, not a lot but without straining. I hope it continues this way.ANd yes, it was an abdominal surgery (actually 2) so adhesions are a concern. And I haven't been tested for anything because this just started a week ago, but I suspect I have some issues with diary and wheat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.