Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site but I really am at my wits end. When I first started having IBS-D it was triggered by only a few things, like sesame seeds or coffeemate but now it seems like anything I eat is triggering an attack. Even if it's food or drink that's never affected me before, it's now setting my IBS off, and very quickly at that. Plus, I'm trying to lose weight but finding that a lot of healthy stuff like fruit and veg is off limits as it triggers me terribly. It's starting to affect my social life, and sometime even Immodium doesn't calm it down. I don't know what to do

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually with IBS it is more the act of eating than which foods you eat. Although I would recommend cooking veggies and sticking to lower fructose, low sorbitol fruits (so no apples, pears, peaches, cherries, plums or similar fruits unless you cook them).You can lose weight on whatever your safe foods are, you do not need to change the food, but you may need to be strict about portion control. Smaller more frequent meals are usually better for both IBS and blood sugar control than waiting as long as possible to eat.You can use any of a number of online diet trackers and put in the safe foods you can eat and work out what portion sizes will make it equal to the number of calories a day you need to eat. I mean you could check out the rice diet and while it does have fruits and veggies is very low calorie and mostly rice and other starches some IBSers find good for them. Now other IBSers do better on a low carb approach but you have to play with it to see what works for you.Have you seen the Calcium thread? Sometimes that type of dietary supplement can help calm it down. If you can't control it with over the counter medications you may need to get back to the doctor to see if you need a prescription.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
http://www.ricedietprogram.com/ is their website. They do inpatient work, but they have books and lot of info on the site.http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url...amp;x=0&y=0 I have two of the books (The Main one and the Cookbook).I like that type of food.If you can't do beans and lentils (as a lot of IBSers can't) I'd use small amounts of lean protein like chicken or fish.I don't limit the salt as much as they do in the full diet, but I do like to eat the way they recommend whether I am losing weight or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.