Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like since I was told a week ago that I have IBS that my symptoms are getting worse. I've started to change the way I eat such as a whole grain bread instead of white, cutting out dairy (which was hard to do cuz I love ice cream), Drinking more water, taking Beneful every night before bed. Nothing seems to be helping. What's up?

G

·
Rogue - I'm absolutely convinced that at least 50% of how you feel with IBS is "in the mind" - thats not trivialising it but I figure if you think "oh god I've got IBS - D/C" it suddenly looms much larger in your life - this is certainly true for me. If I'm busy and getting on with things - it generally takes a back seat but if I have a rare quiet day, or I'm feeling abit blue (particularly around the time of my time of the month - and sorry, can't tell if you are a lad or a lass) the symptoms seem to loom much worse. I've had this condition for about 10 years and have times when I practically forget its there - other times it almost takes over my life. Having said that, it would certainly help to keep a food diary, seeing what makes you feel particularly grim and take it from there. Also might be worth trying a Probiotic, have a word with a tame health food shop (are you in the States or the UK) and please keep in touch via the board. YOU WILL LEARN TO MANAGE THIS CONDITION, promise you but be patient and things will improve.Take care and welcome to the board RogueSue, Manchester

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hello! May not seem it but a week is a very short time, and changes dont always happen overnight. You say that you've started to change the way you eat, and you're getting worse. Well maybe your still eating your particular trigger? Or maybe in your case, IBS is bought on worse by stress/worrying etc. Everyone is different and reacts to different things. Keep plugging away like we all are, and one of the days you will have a breakthrough! Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey. Thanks for all your help. I'm a girl and I have noticed before that I feel just horrible during "that time". Hopefully I can get this somewhat under control by the time I have to go to college in the fall. And the food diary is a good Idea. I'm reading a book on managing IBS and it suggested that too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.