Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Ghitta

689 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Cordy 
#1 ·
Well I know you have a lot of recipes for IBS C and stuff so I was wondering if you could help me out. My IBS-C seem to be getting worse ( im taking Mag. Oxide twice a week and senakot once a week ) Im after something to eat which will really help me go , the problem however is that my stomach is extremly sensitive to onions and spices. And to make it even worse I got severe food allergies which means I cant eat most veggies and fruit ( veggies I can eat peas , sweetcorn , mushrooms , cucumber and a little bit of lettuce . Fruit all I can eat is bananas. Also im allergic to all kind of nuts ) I was wondering if there is anything at all I could eat to help it all along a little bit ???Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
hi Shadowz. i'm also allergic to nuts (not peanuts, which are legumes) by the way...anyway, let me ask you a question, are you actually allergic to those foods or is it simply digestive intolerance? two very different things....but let me recommend a few options to you...first, start upping your mag oxide dose to daily, 250 mg with your first meal of the day and then 250 mg with dinner. make sure none of your other vite supplements contain iron. lower your calcium supps as well. as for food, here's an idea: steam over water as much fresh lettuce (or spinach if you can tolerate spinach) as you can eat, pour olive oil and a little lemon juice over it. eat that with a big plate of mushrooms that you have sauteed in olive oil. try seasoning with plain sea salt and leave out the spices. can you eat rice? how about a big bowl of BROWN rice tossed with cooked lettuce and mushrooms, seasoned with sea salt? if you can eat lettuce, how about sea greens such as certain commercial seaweeds found in health food stores? fry them in a big pan with no fat and garnish your bowl of rice with the pieces - no need for salt if you do that - it's hard to believe you're allergic to all fruit except bananas but if that's the case, eat your bananas when they are overripe and not before. bananas can actually bind you unless they are really really ripe. like brown. can you eat potatoes? i have great potatoe recipes so let me know. i would also try and stop the senna if i were you because it can become highly addictive. good luck and let me know if you have other questions, ok? g-

#3 ·
hello there , thanks for all the advice. Yes im actually allerigic to it , food allergies if I eat it my throat swell and I end up in hospital. Im taking 1000mg Oxide twice a week , but as u suggested I will take 250mg twice a day. Yes I can eat potatoes no problems so would love some recipes with potatoes. Im gonna give the other suggestions a go over the next days as Im so fed up with this constipation. Once again thanks

#4 ·
shadowz, here's one potato recipe you can try, with organic potatoes only, please, since you must eat the skins for it to work...normally this recipe takes lots of garlic but i've left it out because you don't do garlic... - take as many new little potatoes as you can eat, scrub well but don't peel, toss with olive oil and sea salt and fresh or dried thyme and rosemary, (herbs here not spices) and roast uncovered in preheated oven (gas # 7 if you're on british gas stove numbers or about 350 degrees F ) until brown and done. serve with big green salad. can you eat goat cheese? if so, serve with melted goat cheese as well....good luck, g-

#5 ·
Shadow I hope it's okay if I join this thread. Ghitta, I have been having lots of trouble with my constipation lately too. I have been away from here. I have been trying to do it all on my own, without the magnesium. But things got to the point that I just couldn't go without taking Milk of Magnesia. But I did alot of reading about the mineral oil in that being very bad for you, and I kept reading, hoping I would find something that would say mag. oxide was not bad for you, and finally found a statement that said the only thing bad about mag oxide is it can become habit forming....well, I think that's okay, cause without it, I'm forming a terrible habit of impaction after impaction, and what kind of life is that? I guess i will go back to the magnesium. I have been having a hard time eating properly lately due to lack of time. I am going to try to get back on the wagon and eat beets again, and try to incorporate more fruits into my diet and brown rice daily. I am so sick of this constipation. I just wanted to write to you because I was feeling very frustrated with my problem. and I wanted some sympathy. Thanks for listening. I guess what I need is advice on how to incorporate healthy eating into your life---it's just so hard as I do not like to cook. I guess I have to motivate myself on this, but I was hoping for a slight KICK from you to read me the riot act about having enough self respect to take the time out to go fix a good meal every day. Thanks

#6 ·
Just a note as I think I was not clear about the mag./ milk of mag. In my reading, I have found that milk of mag is bad because it has the mineral oil in it, which makes your fat soluble vitamins not absorbable, and also because it washes out all your minerals. But the mag oxide is okay, because all it is is an osmotic. It helps bring water into the stool. (it's just that the book I'm reading said that osmotics can be habit forming). My point on that was that if mag oxide is habit forming, that's okay because CONSTIPATION IS HABIT FORMING TOO, AND I'D RATHER HAVE A HABIT OF USING MAGNESIUM EVERY DAY THAN THE HABIT I'M CURRENTLY ENJOYING!!!!!!! -------NOT!!!

#7 ·
cordelia, girl - you said it honey, not me - love yourself enough to make nice healthy meals for yourself - because you deserve it! - once you get into the habit of fixing food that suits you it gets easier and less time consuming. one thing is - you can make the anti-C soups on your days off, the weekends for example and then you can have them on worknights etc. another thing is to remember that food is NOT the enemy - food should be a joy, pleasant and nutritious and some of the best anti-C recipes are simply and take barely any time at all. example: open a can of artichoke hearts and a can of white cannelli beans, rinse and drain both, toss with lots of olive oil and lemon juice, throw in some chopped cooked garlic if you want and dried thyme, serve with a can of tuna fish in olive oil. and there you have it! slice some fresh tomatoes on the side and perhaps a green salad. go ahead girl, you can do it! g-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.