Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went for my first appointment with the GI. I was told that I had IBS and that I was to stop taking my birth control pills and take Immodium when I have diahrrea. That's it. I asked about the extreme pain...no help for that.I asked about the fact that Immodium does not always help...no help for that.The ever present gas...no help for that.He says that I have had "extensive work ups" since I had one colonoscpy done and some stool cultures. He reluctantly agreed to do a blood test for gluten intolerence and to test my thyroid. His response to my concerns above, just try to relax...I have never been so frustrated in my life.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So sorry. I recently had a similar experience. The GI doc didn't really listen to me although I patiently told him my 1 1/2 year history with IBS problems. He questioned my previous (clearly positive) diagnosis of Celiacs disease (gluten intolerence). I found much more support from the family nurse practitioner at my GP office. And this on-line group!! I am currently following the calcium protocol I saw here, taking a probiotic (Align), and large amount of soluable fiber suppliments (Citrucel). I am also treating my anxiety and depression (Xanax and Zoloft). Lots of pills to take in one day but I am slowly coming back to normal after suffering almost a year of constant IBS-D. Keep looking for a sympathetic doc and try some of the self-care you can read about on this site. It's helped a lot of people!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.