Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GI Doc says somatization, anxiety, and depression are driving IBS symptoms. GI doc did major tests and gave me bentyl.I told him I'm having problems digesting meat and he said don't eat meat, but consume other sources of protein. As a patient, I'm puzzled at such a cavalier response. Any input to the meat digestion problem?Psych Doc says IBS symptoms are driving anxiety and depression and gave me anxiety and depression meds.Does anyone else get it's "in your head from GI Docs" and that Psych Docs acknowledge physical symptoms?I'm baffled at these opposing medical views and the notion to just "suck it up" and get better. Sorry, I had to vent! Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Karl,Luckily for me, when I see my GI doctor, I also see a health psychologist specializing in chronic GI problems at the same time. They are a group at my local hospital and they are a GI motility team. I also see an anesthesioloist at a different hospital, but he works in conjunction with the GI and psychologist. I am very fortunate to have found a group that believes in this "team effort." I see the group about twice a month. We not only just talk about symptoms, but also about what has happened to cause the symptoms and what foods I have eaten.Good luck to you,Lindsey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karl: We really are on our own for the most part. However, there are physicians like Dr. Salt who do want to help us, but I believe that we as IBSers will have to have the initiative to come up with some answers with the aid of researchers. The research should be of a more practical nature not just theory. Therefore, we will ask the questions and maybe we'll also come up with some answers! In the meantime I hope you feel better and that we care.
)
)
)
)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.