Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have suffered from IBS for the past 20 years. The ONLY thing that helped me was Lotronex! I have seen on this web site advertising of Ibsacol and Bowel Soothe. I was wondering if this has worked for anyone. I am not very trusting of these things because they all seem to be gimmicks and never help me. I have tried the calcium pills and that just makes my symptoms worse. I used my last Lotronex pill about a month ago and I am trying to find some type of relief, if there is anything out there. I would appreciate any advice....THANKS

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Calle, have you heard of hypnotherapy for IBS it is very effective for most people.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Calle, have you heard of hypnotherapy for IBS it is very effective for most people.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Calle. I guess it depends on you definition of 'gimmick'. I think there are products out there which don't help some people, but aren't gimmicks. I have had some success with Ibsacol. If you found Lotronex helpful, you could ask your doctor about Remeron (the generic name is mirtazapine) which works similarly to Lotronex but without the complications. It works on the same receptors in the gut. It is a new class of antidepressant. It has helped me with IBS D and pain. Good luck!Oh, P.S, remember to check out the 'Products' forum we have here. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Calle. I guess it depends on you definition of 'gimmick'. I think there are products out there which don't help some people, but aren't gimmicks. I have had some success with Ibsacol. If you found Lotronex helpful, you could ask your doctor about Remeron (the generic name is mirtazapine) which works similarly to Lotronex but without the complications. It works on the same receptors in the gut. It is a new class of antidepressant. It has helped me with IBS D and pain. Good luck!Oh, P.S, remember to check out the 'Products' forum we have here. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi Calle .. just saw your posting from some days back.If you want to email me privately, I can put you in contact with some women who have done very well with Ibsacol since Lotronex disappeared. Or search on the Products and Info section of the board -- there are several stories there with email addresses and women inviting others to contact them about their experience. Just look for the postings with Ibsacol in their title and you will be able to find them. Also, MikeNoLomotilhas good news for you too with his personal use of Ibsacol.Truth is so many of our customers don't return to the board any more .. Pikey and jlynus are just a couple I'm free to name. Another is hateit if you search for any messages from her. She is long gone now .... happily married with a symptom-free life now.Please let me know if I can help you ... Kind thoughtsDianne CadwalladerFor the record, I am a director of the New Zealand company that developed and produces Ibsacol.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi Calle .. just saw your posting from some days back.If you want to email me privately, I can put you in contact with some women who have done very well with Ibsacol since Lotronex disappeared. Or search on the Products and Info section of the board -- there are several stories there with email addresses and women inviting others to contact them about their experience. Just look for the postings with Ibsacol in their title and you will be able to find them. Also, MikeNoLomotilhas good news for you too with his personal use of Ibsacol.Truth is so many of our customers don't return to the board any more .. Pikey and jlynus are just a couple I'm free to name. Another is hateit if you search for any messages from her. She is long gone now .... happily married with a symptom-free life now.Please let me know if I can help you ... Kind thoughtsDianne CadwalladerFor the record, I am a director of the New Zealand company that developed and produces Ibsacol.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think I read that if you have your gallbladder out, you cannot take Ibsacol. Has anyone else heard or read about that? Also do you gain weight with Remeron? Goodness knows that is the last thing I need!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think I read that if you have your gallbladder out, you cannot take Ibsacol. Has anyone else heard or read about that? Also do you gain weight with Remeron? Goodness knows that is the last thing I need!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi Knothappy .. please email me and I will answer your questions about the gall bladder. Some do very well and others cannot take fat or fatty acids in any form.I believe it depends upon the reasons the gall bladder was so inflamed it necessitated removing in the very first place.I'll try to help if you want to email me.Thanks and kind wishesDianne

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi Knothappy .. please email me and I will answer your questions about the gall bladder. Some do very well and others cannot take fat or fatty acids in any form.I believe it depends upon the reasons the gall bladder was so inflamed it necessitated removing in the very first place.I'll try to help if you want to email me.Thanks and kind wishesDianne

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi CalleOcho.Can you give a description of your IBS "symptom set" in some detail, with some history, and what was your belly like before and after your surgery?What is a general description of your diet yiou are on?Also I assume you have been under the care of a board certified GI doc and had a thorough differential diagnosis done, since its been 20 years, right? With some more info we could probably discourse more easily.Be back tomorrow to see what appears.Eat well. Think well. Be well. Show n Tell.MNL________________www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi CalleOcho.Can you give a description of your IBS "symptom set" in some detail, with some history, and what was your belly like before and after your surgery?What is a general description of your diet yiou are on?Also I assume you have been under the care of a board certified GI doc and had a thorough differential diagnosis done, since its been 20 years, right? With some more info we could probably discourse more easily.Be back tomorrow to see what appears.Eat well. Think well. Be well. Show n Tell.MNL________________www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My doctor told me that yes you can gain weight with Remeron. I tried Remeron and I couldn't function being on it. I missed a whole day of work because I was so doped up and it made me very nauseated. I have always had a hard time taking medications except for that wonderful Lotronex. I tried calcium again and started off taking it slow, but I just can't take it. I have tried the chewable tablets, I tried taking a half of a pill and I just get an upset stomach and then if I continuing taking it I end up with diarrhea.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My doctor told me that yes you can gain weight with Remeron. I tried Remeron and I couldn't function being on it. I missed a whole day of work because I was so doped up and it made me very nauseated. I have always had a hard time taking medications except for that wonderful Lotronex. I tried calcium again and started off taking it slow, but I just can't take it. I have tried the chewable tablets, I tried taking a half of a pill and I just get an upset stomach and then if I continuing taking it I end up with diarrhea.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
KnotHappy - you'll only gain weight on Remeron if you eat extra, as it can increase appetite. Calle - it is normal to have morning sedation for the first few weeks of taking Remeron (you should take it at bed-time or a couple of hours before hand). This wears off after a few weeks. I was surprised to hear you had nausea with it, as it is used to treat nausea in pregnancy. In addition to the above info, you should know that the lower the dose of Remeron, the higher the side effects.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
KnotHappy - you'll only gain weight on Remeron if you eat extra, as it can increase appetite. Calle - it is normal to have morning sedation for the first few weeks of taking Remeron (you should take it at bed-time or a couple of hours before hand). This wears off after a few weeks. I was surprised to hear you had nausea with it, as it is used to treat nausea in pregnancy. In addition to the above info, you should know that the lower the dose of Remeron, the higher the side effects.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.