Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last year this soft drink has become my best friend. Coke and Pepsi made things worse so now wherever I go I order Ginger Ale and if they don't have any, iced tea (which is not nearly as helpful, but better than Coke). I consider GA to be a kind of "stomach insurance". By putting it in my stomach first I can feel confident that if I eat pizza or a burger or anything it won't fly out the other end.I find this very helpful on days when I have a lot of classes; it's so embarrassing to have to use the bathrooms in the basement of my college where everyone can hear.I just wanted to see what everyone would think of this. I don't have many suggestions to share myself, I tend to let the symptoms get worse with my food cravings (I am the worst fast food junkie ever!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The way you feel about ginger ale is the way I feel about bananas. No matter what, they usually seem to settle my stomach and provide me with some energy.I will have to try ginger ale and see if it works for me. I occasionally buy the pickled ginger (the pink kind that's often with sushi) from the deli section at the grocery store and that seems like a miracle food to my stomach.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing about GA is, even if it doesn't help, it very likely won't make your symtoms worse (it's a known combattant of nausea and other stomach ailments).Interesting about the bananas. A banana once brought on one of my most embarrassing incidents... I had one for breakfast when I was leaving for music camp. My friend's mom picked me up and I started feeling nauseous and IBS-y on the drive to the place where the buses were leaving for camp and we had to stop on the side of the road b/c I thought I was going to vomit. Needless to say, the ensuing 3 hour bus trip was nerve wracking.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I avoid coffee, colas, and most soft drinks.I also avoid sugar-free soda pop because the chemical sweetener is bad for me. The carbonation seems to cause bloating and gassiness, too_Once in a while I will drink a small ginger ale, and I have never had any trouble with it.I know that herbalists often suggest ginger tea for an upset stomach, so I guess it's a "can't hurt, might help" sort of thing.I have IBS D with GERD.Take care from . . . Lexi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.