Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how people took ginger and chamomile to treat their ibs-d. I'm interested in experimenting with them.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
They don't control D as far as I know. The ginger is good for nausea. Not sure what the chamomile would be good for other than perhaps some people find it a bit calming???

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There aren't many teas that prevent diarrhea, or stop it up once it starts.Chammomile is generally calming not specific for diarrhea and ginger is best for nausea.Peppermint tea is more commonly used for IBS as it is a smooth muscle relaxant and sometimes that will help ease diarrhea.Anyway I would suggest for any of them either do regular doses and drink a cup a few times a day. If you have problems after meals usually with peppermint tea 20-30 minutes before the meal is the best bet. Often things work better when "in place" rather than trying to play catchup once the symptoms are bad. So I would think a 20-30 minutes before meals would be a good way to try any of them.A fair number of people only take chamommile at bedtime as it can make some people a bit sleepy rather than just being soothing so if you are going to do it several times a day I would start on a day you don't have to go anywhere.Some people find fennel tea seems to ease gas so you might also consider that. Traditionally that is usually an at the end of a meal thing, although some cultures just eat the seeds rather than make a tea.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Be careful of Chamomile tea if you have seasonal, hay fever allergies as it is part of the ragweed family and can cause allergies with regular, daily use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts