Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Neither remedy has any bearing on the gas itself. Peppermint oil is a smooth muscle relaxant and operates primarily on the upper esophageal sphincter to relax it allowing one to belch gas (air) from the stomach. Beyond that, it has dissipated and there is no easy way to get it into the deep small bowel. I don't know that ginger would have any similar effect.

·
Registered
830 Posts
all i know is this: ginger, peppermint, fennel, artichokes, thyme, and a few others, have all been used for centuries by europeans (in food form, tea form, concoction form and in the case of fennel, seeds as well) as "carmitives": that is to say, anti-flatulence remedies. i personally use peppermint tea, ginger tea, a digestive tea, fennel tea and so forth on a regular basis and find that they absolutely help me to expell gas and make my gut feel better. i tend to use ginger in colder weather and in very hot weather i will often make iced peppermint tea. i try to make food my medecine and through trial and error find out what works and what doesn't. a million french people can't be wrong after centuries of using these basic, simple natural non-synthetic chemical remedies. what i do not do is take gas-x or any of that stuff. i'd rather use herbals, within reason, and they work for me. good luck!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Tom,I buy enteric coated peppermint capsules that aren't supposed to dissolve until they reach teh small intestine. I have found relief with these if I have a flare up. Only thing is, they say to take at least an hour after a meal. I take them on an empty stomach. For some reason they work much better. Stops my spasms, gas and pain. The one I take has peppermint, ginger, chamomile etc.kari

·
Banned
194 Posts
Just a word of caution on the chamomile for anyone who may be ragweed-sensitive. Chamomile is in the same plant family as ragweed and cross responses can occur. The other two sound good to me, although I find the need to avoid concentrated forms of peppermint or ginger and take them in the form of tea.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have tried enteric-coated peppermint capsules, but had no real luck with gas alleviation. I also felt a slight burning in my esophogas, which means that it probably dissolved before it got to my colon and exacerbated my acid reflux. At least I had good breath! Since it's also an anti-spasmotic, I don't take it much since I don't need my constipated colon working more slowly!I've heard chewing a handful of fennel seeds after dinner can prevent/alleviate gas. I haven't tried it, but Indian restaurants often serve them.A remedy that works for me is to take a few shakes of Agostura Bitters (the ingredient in Old Fashioneds) in 6 oz. of water or sprite. Within a half hour I feel less pressure and less gas passing. It's a slight laxative, also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.