Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi..alright, this is not easy for me. i hesitate to write this but no holds barred, right? here it goes...i haven't been intimate with a man since i became IBS symptomatic. i want to jump back into it, i have been putting it off. i've always been confident but now i am afraid and avoiding sex. i'm not sure if my body can handle it. i wonder if i'll get sick after or tired during or worse yet...gassey! any suggestions?, by any chance, from one who is more experienced with this. like what to avoid before (eating or drinking) or for that matter, during or after?? (appreciate it :love: )

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi, not sure where we're meant to talk about these issues anymore, I notice they removed the "adult" section. Encouraging for you, I had similar apprehensions a while back and was quite scared, but was pleasantly surprised that once you get into the swing of things you forget about everything else and no problem! Does your partner know about your issues...this can help. But, just don't do it until you feel comfy first and can relax. Avoid your triiger foods first.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
We'll see if this thread gets moved.
If you need the link to ADult side though, just PM me and I can give it to you.Gassy...well, I think everyone who has had sex has had at least one moment of "oh God....I am going to fart" and be embarrassed. I'm not sure if you have that problem with your IBS, but as the poster before me said, try to avoid your triggers on that. If it DOES happen (and is noticed) laughter is the best one on that.
It's a bodily function, right? The guy will fart too, and likely have less problems with it than us girls.
Will you feel tired etc? Well...I'd say that depends on you personally. Sex releases some pretty good endorphins so you may feel "high" afterwards. Of course...you use muscles in sex that may not normally be used so you may be sore and a bit tired. ("normal" people can have this too) I am IBS D and I can't recall having an IBS attack due to sex though....and being single I don't have sex often. (did I just admit that in public?!)
Play around and find positions that are comfortable for you and feel good.Avoiding alcohol may be a big one for you. That is a big trigger for me; even though it can relax you.I guess the biggest thing I can say is, make sure you are confortable with whomever you have sex with. You will be nervous anyways, but having an understanding partiner will help a lot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i noticed that fooling around, or whatever u would like to call it can sometimes actually HELP. getting involved makes you forget about everything else, including your stomach. Stimulating everything inside of your body may be a good thing. Doctors claim exercise may also help IBS (who knows....!?!?).. and since doing "it" is a form of exercise, it may help.just a though!

·
Registered
239 Posts
In my experience, sometimes sex can make you forget! There are times when both my GERD and intestines are acting up and I think to myself "I'm not going to be able to go through with this." But, once it starts AND (importantly), I am interested, it kind of goes away during the act. And yes, I've had the gas problem. Be SURE you're with someone you are comfortable with.Christine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey...thanks ladies for responding and for the support. you put a smile on my face. maybe a little extra curricular activity will actually help! after reading your responses, i realize that i will not fly all over the room when inflated! LOLi will make adjustments if necessary and use good common sense. no need to panic.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dear Candy:This can be a good thing. Don't get sexually involved with a man until you tell him about your IBS-D. If he sticks around, he's a keeper.I hate to sound like your mother. But this is a good test I think to find a good man.much love to you, mama-PS I've had D episodes after sex but NEVER during. Just after.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone...Mama too,I feel the need to explain. I'm probably getting too personal but i mean, we're talking BM's here! ;-) I cannot tell. After 5 yrs. of divorce and 3 children (1 that is disabled, which in itself is all consuming) i do not have the energy or time for a serious relationship. Therefore, my partners are chosen selectivly for entertainment purposes only (dinner, etc.). I'm never that comfortable with a man because the relationship is superficial. That's why i am scared. I will have to date the times I feel o.k., and deal with it if something happens. (i mainly worry about gas, which is my big problem...and my tummy is sooo big at times!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm with you guys too -- it's awful when your stomach hurts and you feel like any pressure on your tummy is going to cause "problems" -- what an awful feeling, even if you are with someone you're very comfortable with. It's just one of the many ways that this controls the way we live. PLEASE give us Lotronex back!!! That's all I have to say! Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.