Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I want to go out this weekend, and so I am doing my usual thing to prepare for that....no solid food for 2 or 3 days to give my digestive system/colon a rest and get it calmed down..The thing that bothers me is this: Getting together with people is fine, but why do they always want to bring food into the situation?At work when we have our monthly meetings my boss comes in laden down with coffee, donuts, bagels and cream cheese and forces it down everyone's throat before the meeting! If you go out on a movie/concert date...'let's have dinner'. If you go to a church function....it's not 'fellowship' unless you're eating. Once an understanding pastor told me to just get a small bit of coffee and hold it as I chatted, but I didn't have to drink it..just use it as a prop. Wouldn't ya know a few people came over and loudly inquired why I wasn't eating anything?So I am attempting to be social this weekend and hoping no one will try to coax me into eating OR THEY WILL BE AS SOORY AS I AM THAT I GAVE IN!

·
Registered
779 Posts
We are a society that is preoccupied with food and eating. It is a comfort activity for most people to be able to eat. (except us). There are so many overweight people these days, is it little wonder that food has become so important.Try bringing your own snacks, Some nice liquid refreshment, and don't share.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the same problem. I have found that in the last few months practically everything at work involves eating. We now have lunch time meetings, where we all eat in the room while we have the meeting. Of course, that is really a double whammy for me, sitting in the meeting room closely with other people is very stressful and to throw food on top of that....well, needless to say......And it does draw attention to yourself if you are the only one not eating. Last time I ate in a meeting I had some LG escape. I was terrified...no one said anything but I was so self consious. (thank goodness I had chosen the end seat)I think I will just say I am on a special diet and just not eat.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Just tell then straigh away that you are not eating tonight. Last time my girl friend called and wanted me to go out with some friends for lunch I told her I do not eat out. To many things I shouldn't eat.She knows that the last time we did that I had everyone in the resturant shaking their heads and whispering.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way..I was watching an edition of American Invention last night and it had clips of previous shows. The Flaulence filter guy was on there and they couldn't believe that there was a need for such a thing. There was a big deal about saying the word "fart" on the part of the judges..like thay never passed gas. One commented that it is not the smell that is offensive, but the sound. How little they know about IBS LG.I was silently screaming at the tv.Now, I do use it on really bad days and I find that there is some benefit to it when affixed tightly...the gas has to pass THROUGH the material and LG just does not have the force to pass through the charcoal cloth. But it does have value , I find. I wouldn't laugh the guy off the show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.