Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am going to try glutamine (I will try anything)have just spent a fortune on L-glutamine - tell me this is the same please? Can I do any harm with it - any problems taking it with anything else (recommended dose 4.5g twice a day - says take an hour before a workout - don't workout - any problems there likely?) Any info much appreciated

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Glutamine and L-Glutamine are one and the same. You should take it on an empty stomach, first thing in the a.m. and just before bed. I assume you've bought the powder? Just mix it with a small amount of water (just a quarter of a glass, at the most) and drink it down.You cannot harm yourself with it -- in fact, it is one of the amino acids that produces others that we lose as we age (like glutathione, a very important anti-aging nutrient). It works by healing the lining of the intestines and, if you have IBS-D you will notice a significant improvement (at the above dosage) in less than a week.I buy pure Glutamine ( no flavors or fructose) from Jarrow and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I shall give it a go (I paid �29.99 - about $35 ish - wow its expensive - if its for me I shall have to source it on the web)when things are bad I would pay anything. To be honest with the use of Immodium and fibre the D is fairly controlled its just the spasms and general feeling of an alien living inside my intestines and and stomach that drive me nuts - along with the explosive gas, griping twisting colon etc etc etc - the D is more or less bearable and in fact less D and more soft stools but still not what used to be normal for me so I am hoping that it helps. I must find out what else is worth investigating in this area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't suppose that as well as a miraculous cure for IBS its anti aging properties will make me look 20 again then?I shall have trouble having a time of day when my stomach is empty thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
First thing in the morning is the most suitable time for an empty stomach, and these days I find I feel best when I don't eat late in the evening so that lets me have another dose at bedtime.You will probably be able to stop the Immodium once the glutamine kicks in, but I also keep up the fiber as that seems to be helpful in general. I also had improvement with spasms, bloating, and gas although I do not look twenty years younger yet!
But who knows???Try buying it on the web, but make sure it has no additives or flavoring. You can probably find a site that sells the Jarrow formula that I buy here in NYC for about $20 USD.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'm not aware of any studies specifically for IBS, although there was some information posted on another thread ("Question About Glutamine") about how it is known to rebuild the intestinal lining, thereby helping it to reabsorb fluid to form a normal stool. All I know is that it works, it's safe, and it's an amino acid that drops in levels as we age so that supplementation is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I suffer from ulcerative colitis and have been taking it for a while - recently i increased my dose to 1 gram twice a day and it seems to be working well, no problems.And sadly, it doesn't make you look 20 again...
but then again, who needs all that adolescent angst?liz

·
Registered
336 Posts
I asked this question of Jan who is the LEAP registered dietician -- here is her response:Re Glutamine:quote:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Is this a substance that IBSers are deficient in for some reason or is it just something that anyone can take without many negative effects? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Honestly, glutamine is not my source of expertise, but I do have a copy of a book that is 100 pages long JUST on the subject of glutamine. (avail at Amazon.com, noted below)For the most part, the research is showing that it is the main nutrient needed for intestinal repair and to maintain the integrity of the mucosal lining. It also plays a role in our immune systems.The greatest amount of research has shown the benefit in wasting diseases where a person hasn't been able to eat for extremely long periods of time, or is undergoing chemotherapy or radiation that affects the GI tract integrity. However, there is good research related to ulcer treatment and reducing diarrhea (thus, it can be constipating for some people) The average person gets plenty from a normal, healthy diet that provides adequate protein.Does a deficiency cause IBS. NO, not that I've seen. Can it help? Maybe, for some, with diarrhea. Can it be harmful? Yes, it can increase GI gas/bloating for some people.Here's some sites I recommend, with good info on the subject.www.cambridgenutra.com The World's Healthiest Foods: Feeling Great http://whfoods.org/genpage.phptname=nutrient&dbid=122 GOOD BOOK: The Ultimate Nutrient : Glutamine/the Essential Nonessential Amino Acid by Judy Shabert, MD, RD and Nancy Ehrlich http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...1704586-6229625 Hope this helps.--------------------Wishing you well,Janwww.NowLEAP.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking into the use of Glutamine. It seems it is used by those who suffer with D only. I am a polyphasic?? IBS sufferer. At this time I am in the C phase. Would Glutamine be of any use to me? Has anyone else with my symptoms tried this product. My medicine cabinet is overflowing with products that have not worked. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.Gram

1 - 11 of 11 Posts