Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor suggested I try a gluten free diet to see if helps me out. He told me to go to familydoctor.org, and search for Gluten Free Diet. well I did, and couldn't find anything. Anyone else got any helpful resources?

·
Registered
354 Posts
mangoneinsane......I assume your doctor has tested you for celiac. Even if your doctor did not a gluten free diet is worth a try. I have tried it is the past but it did not resolve my IBS. The following links should be of assistance. In addition maybe your doctor should check out his suggested internet link prior to recommending it to you. http://www.celiac.ca/egfdiet.html http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12 http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=18 http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=20 This link discuss the difference between intolerance and allergy to gluten http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=11 The following links are to the home pages for the above links. http://www.celiac.ca/englishcca.html http://www.celiac.com/ Plus this one. http://www.csaceliacs.org/# There are a lot more sites on the internet to obtain the iformation you are looking for but I think these should help. Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just started eating a gluten free diet (on my own) about 4 days ago. I cannot believe the difference. First, the bloating and abdominal discomfort is gone. Additionally, I don't feel depressed any longer and I'm not as tired. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I can't say for sure it is all because of this diet, but that is the only change I have made. Digestive problems seem to run in my family, although no one has ever mentioned celiac disease. The only exception is that my 14 year old son has been having trouble with gas, stomach aches and tiredness. The doctor has mentioned celiac disease as a possible cause. As a result of looking up information on it, I noticed that I had a lot of the symptoms (even as a child). I started watching how I felt after eating certain foods and noticed that I had a lot of bloating and gas after eating bread/wheat products. I am not thrilled with the idea of eating this way for the rest of my life, but if it makes me feel better, I'm going to do it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this continues to work. I hope you have the same kind of success. I went to celiac.com and printed out the lists of forbidden foods and am reading labels on everything. It looks kind of depressing when you see how many things we are eating have gluten, but at this point I don't care.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Wheat/gluten free is absolutely impossible. Im starving because i can't find anything to eat- ansolutely everything has gluten/wheat in. I miss bread the most, and find myself craving it. Remember to read the back of every packet- soups have it in (wheat flour as a thickener), gravy, some noodles, pasta, some cereals. Even some crisps have wheat flour in them. Gone are the days when it was just fried potato.Im living on jacket potatos, tuna and rice. Gluten free bread is disgusting and the pasta isn't that great either. Good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Nikki. I'm sorry you are having such trouble with the gluten free diet. It isn't as difficult for me because I don't have as much of a craving for breads or things and I have eaten unprocessed foods for about 2 years anyway. I also haven't eaten dairy products for about a year because I tested positively on my allergy tests for dairy. I think I miss that the most, but I have gotten used to it. I would love to just have cheese and crackers or a pasta dish. Good luck, though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I will admit that it can be difficult to maintain a gluten free diet. Even though I had tested negative for celiac via biopsy several years earlier I decided to try the diet last year to see if it would make a difference. I did see some minor improvement but it did not last and I have now returned to my normal diet.I was on the diet for a few months. As Nikki has pointed out most of the gluten free breads are �disgusting�, just like eating sawdust but I was able to find a brand made in Canada that was tolerable especially when toasted and "buttered". With the help of a friend I also found a few brands of rice pasta that are delicious. They are so good I still use them. I was also fortunate enough to have a grocery store near by and a few natural health food stores in the city where I live that carry several gluten free products on clearly marked shelves. The grocery store carried some gluten free cookies made in the Province where live which I found a real treat but every time I bought them I felt a bit guilty, thinking I should leave them for those who have celiac disease especially the kids. It takes time to find gluten free products that are enjoyable and gluten free products are more expensive. In the US and now in Canada there are Income Tax deductions available for those diagnosed with celiac. Remember what Nikki said read the labels and check the information provided on the celiac web sites. When I was on the diet I initially did not realize that some yogurts can contain gluten and this may not be indicated on the label. After discovering this I had to start over. Another problem for individuals with celiac disease is cross contamination. Something as simple as using a toaster, butter, margarine, jam� contaminated with anything containing gluten is enough to cause problems.There have been a few members on this BB who were initially diagnosed with IBS but eventually diagnosed correctly with celiac. The most notable was a member by the name of Joe who for years was diagnosed IBS. He finally was diagnosed with celiac. Last year he posted how his life had been given back after changing to a gluten free diet. Like Eric and others on the BB Joe stressed the importance of obtaining a proper workup prior to being given the diagnosis of IBS. Of course for some it can be quite difficult to obtain a proper workup and even though celiac disease is not that common I suspect there are others on this BB who have been diagnosed with IBS and actually have celiac.Sorry for being so long winded.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Endorsing what others have said, read labels and try to avoid processed food.Gluten is found in various vinegars, soy sauce (you can get wheat-free), malt, medication and supplements,etc. The point is, as frostbite said, that many forms of gluten are not obvious, and for a diet to work, you have to ensure that you're eliminating all gluten, not just wheat.You might have to avoid oats as well.If I get time tomorrow, I'll try to find a site with diet recommendations.Btw, frostbite has it right with toasting gluten-free bread, in my case, rice bread. It does make it reasonably bearable.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I have found that Quakar Porridge Oats are ok.I have a "free from" bread that is very nice toasted. Almost like the real thing. Also, as Arnie said, look for things that are gluten free and then you are good for wheat/gluten.On quite a lot of foods it has "allergy information" on the back that says if it has wheat/gluten/dairy in.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
I'd be very careful of that tuna. In the mid to late 90's i discovered that I had severe problems with all meat so I switched to tuna.Within a few years I was peeing 20 times a day. No matter how much water i drank i could not quench my thirst and my health got much worse.Much of the worsening health problem was probably related to the use of antibiotics which made my intestinal dysbiosis much worse; however, i think there may have been a problem with all the mercury that i was consuming.I don't trust tuna. Pregnant women are NOT supposed to eat it, nor are women who are thinking of getting pregnant.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I live on tuna also. I have it almost every day for lunch because it gives me no problems. I do have to say I am a bit worried now, though. Luckily I eat the light tuna instead of the albacore and white as I read the light has less mercury than albacore. I am 41 and have no plans for any more children. Should I still be concerned? What types of health problems can it cause?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just thought of one more thing regarding the gluten free diet. So far it is working wonderfully for me except one thing. I noticed the pain and bloating is gone however I have been noticing more trouble with the C. I am still going, but not as frequently and it is very hard. Is this common with a gluten free diet? I remember when I was on the South Beach diet that they said during the first two weeks when you cut out almost all carbs, constipation is a common occurrence. I'm not going to stop eating like this because I haven't felt this good in what seems like years, but this is kind of a pain in the butt (no pun intended).

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It seems strange, but no matter how much I eat, I always lose lots of weight when I go gluten free. I've been virtually gluten free for the entire year and have lost far more weight than I intended to. So that might be a bonus for those with a few lbs to shed.Has this happened for anyone else?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Arnie - this is not surprising. THe same aspect that causes GI symptoms is what can promote weight gain. The gluten in wheat can have that sluggish effect on the GI tract and is difficult to process (although in some it will cause D rather than C). I don't think too much (or even any...) gluten is good for ANYONE.

·
Registered
244 Posts
my aunt recommended the eating right for your blood type diet and i found it hard to stay satisfied, however - i ate this bread that is called "Ezekial" bread - it's usually in the frozen department because it lacks preservatives and is made from "sprouted grain" instead of processed wheats... you might find that to work with the gluten free approach.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been doing the gluten free diet for a little less than a week now. I have lost 3 1/2 pounds so far!!! The big thing I noticed is that my stomach is no longer bloated looking (or feeling). I need to lose about 15-20 pounds so this is a welcome effect. I was having a little trouble with constipation for the past couple days but realized I was eating a lot of bananas (which I understand can be constipating). I stopped eating them and switched to apples and added a dose of Citrucel and am much better. I also notice that eating this way I have more energy. I got up early this morning and worked out for 30 mins. on my EFX machine and feel more energized than I have in a while. The food isn't that bad either. I have been cutting out a lot of things over the past couple years trying to figure out what works to improve my IBS so it hasn't been too difficult. I already cut out dairy a year ago when I tested positive for dairy allergy. The biggest problem will probably be eating out. I already found that is difficult when you can't eat dairy because so many places cook with butter, but since I am already used to scrutinizing every menu, it shouldn't be a big deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.