Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this forum... Joined today after my 5th gastro appointment that ended in "well the meds don't help you so take miralax and see what happens"
I've taken 6 doses of it the past 3 days and let's just say I am desperate. The bloating the pain, it's awful. What are the best otc supplements, laxatives or natural remedies you use for ibs c when it gets reaaaally bad?? Thank you in advance.

·
Community Manager
13,182 Posts
some people find taking magnesium supplements helps with C. the amount and which type of mag supplement varies from individual to individual. you have to experiment to see what works for you. there are many different kinds: magnesium citrate, magnesium oxide etc. a lot of people like powdered magnesium supplements like natural calm or MagOx- you mix in water and drink it . Magnesium relaxes the muscles in the intestines which helps to establish a smoother rhythm and magnesium also helps soften the stool by attracting water to the colon which helps to make stools easier to pass. we've got a ton of magnesium threads on here.

you might want to check out this thread over on the constipation forum:

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/152106-the-great-list-of-remedies/

and this one as well:

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/239065-finally-a-product-i-can-recommend/page-1

we have a lot of tips and ideas for dealing with C over on the constipation forum. you might want to post this topic over there as well or i can move it over there if you want.

hope you can find some relief. take care.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey, most important thing is to sort out your diet, try to get rid of stress in your life - I know that it's immensely hard, depending on what you do for living, your private life etc. but stress is a huge indicator here, at least it was for me. Then after sorting out the basics you can supply yourself with supplements that may help you in your everyday life. I would recommend to use: Acacia, 18-20mg, calcium and magnesium, some multivitamins - I basically love them now, taking them everyday, probiotics and water... water is one of those underrated supplements, because people don't realize that they stay dehydrated for most time in their lives. I've personally seen huge chances after drinking plenty of water - I drink from 4 to 5 litres now.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Apple cider vinegar, grape wine vinegar, calamari. DO NOT take ACV in the morning though and take it with some pure or raw honey and water. with your meal. If you get bloating I would avoid beans and rice and any starch. Well or over cook any starches you eat.

Yes and Water is great therapy. Especially after 2:00pm if you work outside or move around a ton. I like spring type water, your taste my vary, drink the water that tastes the cleanest to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see this is an older post, but I am sure many people still encounter this kind of trouble, and I think these days there are much better alternatives. You can try recovery supplements. By adding natural supplements, you will promote better sleep and increase the recovery rate. You can also find vegetarian products or made without gluten; these are the ones I am using. Lately, I am having a hard time falling asleep because of the stress, and I am pleasantly surprised by the effect of the supplements I am taking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts