Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ibs-D. Last week I had a really bad week. But this week I have not been getting D or urgency. But I still find myself needing to go to the toilet 5-6 times a day but when I do go it's just hard little balls :s. I am getting some pain but not really like the cramping I get with D. It's quite uncomfortable if I can't get to the toilet soon after I get the urge but I can definitely hold it in if I have too.I am quite gassy too and my stomach has been making some very weird noises lol. Anyone else get this?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBSers often have what they call "rectal hypersensitivity".One effect of this is "a little bit full" sends out the "gotta go now" so frequent but small BM's is fairly common. So instead of only sending "gotta go" when it is full it sends it too early when not much is in there.Some people get more pain from the filling of the rectum and that causes that "pain that goes away when you have a BM or fart and empty the rectum out" symptom that is common with IBS.The stool consistency should like it is on the dry hard side of things so you might see if you need more water or can tolerate more fiber to help keep the stool bulkier and wetter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think IBS-ers not only have rectal hypersensitivity but it involves the whole colon before, during and after defecation. After my IBS got worse my bowel movements became increasingly unpleasant experience irrespective of the consistency of my stools. Even small daily quantities of stool in my colon create discomfort and even pain/cramps. I can remember being constipated for a week without a BM and serious issues with pain or discomfort. At present if I don't go at least once per day it becomes a torment. I suppose the pain threshold of IBS colon and rectum lowers significantly and it can not longer tolerate the feces inside without cramps, pain and urgency.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I never meant to imply that the one and only thing that explains all symptoms of IBS is rectal hypersensitivity.It is only present in something like 70% of IBSers; however, it does explain a few symptoms some people describe and wonder why the heck these things happen to them.Having done specific testing for rectal hypersensitivity (part of a clinical trial I was in) I came to understand how it explained a few of my symptoms. It certainly wasn' t the one and only thing going on with me (as I do agree there is stuff going on in other parts of the colon) but it does explain the "pain that goes away when you fart or have a BM" which is a common enough symptom and specific enough for IBS it is used diagnostically because it does help to find the rectally hypersensitive. It also explains the "my stool consistency is more normal but I still go a lot with smaller BMs than I had when I went once a day before IBS."Doesn't explain pain from increased colon activity, whole colon tenderness, bloating, trapped gas, diarrhea after meals, splenic flexure syndrome, etc., IMO.Hope that clears that up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.