Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spoke with my dr. toady- she said not to be obsessed with going everyday but I explained that if I don't go and go good- completely empy - I feel horrible- my heart races when I go up stairs, Im very tired, feel like #### in general. I can;'t imagine skipping a day or two. anyone like me that must go everyday- its not about obsession, its about comfort!!! also when I have an off day- incomplete , I pee all day and feel great pressure on my bladder- its miserable! when I go good , no peeing all day stuff- its defintely realted to the pooping.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
Hi Lorilou and everyone I'm newly registered here although I've been reading the boards for years and enormously grateful to Jeff (Thanks Jeff!!) and all of you---ibs-c is miserable but it helps immeasurably to know you're not alone. I actually cried when I first read the c-board and realized there were others out there like me. I've had ibs-c for almost 40 years and it's gotten a lot worse in the last 5 years. maybe perimenopause. anyway, lorilou, I agree with you 100%--incomplete evacuation is my main problem and I fell horrible if I don't completely go. crampy, painful, no energy or happiness, and yes, the peeing thing--have to constantly. and yes, I've had the docs (sick of them) tell me don't be obsessed with it, fiber, water, blah blah blah and I just want to scream. they don't know what it's like. zelnorm only works if I take it every other day or two and then go off it periodically, amitiza didn't work at all. I've been trying your idea with the mom--two tbl every day with zelnorm and that worked fine for 4 days (heavan!) and now--nothing. such a disappointment but thanks for the idea and I'm still going to try working with that and variations of it for a while. so sorry about your reglan situation. I hope your doc lets you start taking it again. good luck--hope you feel better soon.thanks all of you for being there!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello there! I'm also new here, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way. Last year on Feb, I was told by my first GI dr that I was IBS-C and it's been horrible. I was chronic C last year, but at the beginning of this year I started having better bowel movements(BM) and I was feeling so much(not perfect, but able to deal with it). Then about 2 months ago I started having the pain, cramps and the feeling of incomplete evacuation all day. I still have a BM in the morning, but I do not feel completely empty when I'm done and that gives me pain, cramps and spasm all day. It's so bad that I haven't been able to work for months or enjoy my family. I drink lots of water, fiber & exercise everyday. I started taking milk of magnesium(MOM)again a few days ago, I'm going to try to that every couple of days and see how that works for a while. Do any of you take MOM? My new GI doc wants to do another colonoscopy to confirm my IBS. I'm schedule for it on Wed Jul 5th. I have to take about 32 big white pills the day before to empty my bowels. Do any of you had those pills before? I can't believe I have to take 32 of those pills
Thank you for the help and support.Blessings,Abi

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
HI Abigail yes, I've been taking mom fairly regularly since january. started taking it every 3 or 4 days, 2-4 tbl. at first it worked all the time and it's effect seemed to carry over into the second day. now there are days when it doesn't completely work and I can barely get anything out at all, even though i do the fiber and water thing every day. so then, when I get desperate, I try the glycerin supps or an warm water enema in a fleet bottle, like spasman mentioned a while ago. i've recently started taking mom with zelnorm and that worked well at first. now I'm back to IE (incomplete evacuation). it's miserable and debilitating, isn't it. pain, nausea and bloating. and I know exactly what you mean about not being able to work (but I have to force myself in--need the $$) or enjoy family. my husband deserves better than what I can give him.oh, and I've also tried miralax--didn't work, even at max dose with mom...when I had my colonoscopy I had to take the phospo soda. it really cleaned me out well. wish I could take it all the time but you really have to be home most of the day for it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello Annie, Lorilou & everyone,Thank you for the supporting words, I really need it and appreciate it so much. I took MOM last night and went this morning, but it was a struggle to get all that water(from the MOM)out of my bowels. I was in the bathroom for like 45 minutes putting pressure on my lower abdomen with my hand)trying to get all the water out. Does that happens to any of you? Do you feel all that water inside after taking MOM? If you do, How do you deal with that??? How can I get all that water to come out without struggling for hours???I haven't taken Zelnrom or any other medicine, I been trying to do this the natural way. It worked for about 4 months and I'm still, but I'm still trying to figure out why it stopped working. I'm still eating the same foods and doing the exact same things daily. So frustrating and depressing :-( Do any of you eat flax seed or prunes to help with C? Do you guys eat a high IF diet or a high SF one? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm desperate to know if I'm eating the right things.Lori, my faith in the Lord and in His word is what keeps me going daily. He is my Lord, my Savior, my Healer, my Strength and everything else in my life. He's fighting this battle(IBS)for me and He never looses a battle. There is victory in Jesus !!!Thanks again,Abi

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to go everyday.
If I don't same thing like lorilou. before this started last year... I went every day. I think in a year.. I didn't go once for two days. I was clock work.. ( pretty close) Only time I had troubles.. is when I sat on long road trips. I found it be a bit "tricky" to go. My dr's said the same thing.. " Oh you don't have to go everyday... I thought .. * oh yes I do, of I feel icky, and short breathed.. I feel like I'm coming down with something.. so then I use and enema.. and magic*..... I feel 100% better. More energy and the bloating goes away after an hour.
I stretched out my belly so much this past year it' looks like an old blown up balloon. ( not that it was pretty before.. with two c section babies and a hysterectomy.. but... holding my stomach muscles in are tons harder then it was before.
I thought same thing... if I couldn't pee.. like I cant have a bowel moment.. I would be in such troubles.
So0oo I am gratful to pee. Adjusting to the bowel habits that have happened to me this past year. Oh.. and if you tell your dr you are reading on line.. you might get " You shouldn't be reading whats on line it's not true. .. I looked at my dr and said,
I'm just trying to find possible answers is all of this and talk with you about them. He wasn't happy with me. I have not left the dr's office this past year with out crying. One asked if I was depressed. I said NO.. I"m frustrated.
I never tell anyone to do what I'm doing. For me, coming here sharing and talking about something I can't really with anyone else I know, this softens the heart for me. I just wanted to pop in, read your post and respond. Thinking of you,peach~

·
Registered
624 Posts
I totally agree with this thread - it drives me crazy when people say that you shouldn't be obsessed with going every day. I'm NOT obsessed with going everyday, it's just that I've learnt over 16 years that if I DON'T go every day then I'll be in pain by the end of day one. That's the only thing I'm obsessed with - avoiding pain!!Grrr. It's as if some people think that we'll just say "You know, you're quite right, I should just take up needlework to take my mind off it" and then we won't notice that we're in agony.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello Peachprinceton & all of you,Can you tell me what kind of enema do you use? How often you use it? Thank you and everyone for sharing your thoughts, struggles, feelings and for the support. It helps me sooo much to be able to talk to people that understand and care. I do have a great husband, daughter and mother that are always there for me, but it's impossible for them to fully understand what I'm going thru. They all have normal bowels and they don't have any idea how painful my days are. I thank God for this support group.If any of you can help me with my Milk of Magnesium struggle, please do so....I wrote about it in my prior post.Blessings,Abi

·
Registered
32 Posts
It depends..... ...
I normally use warm water.. and sometimes I use the fleets they have in the stores. Then I also have mixed up some mineral oil with water to keep things ( what I would believe to me ) lubricated... I have had 2 nice bowel moments in the past 6 months.. so I try to figure out what I did to make that happen.
True.. family is supportive, but if they don'tunderstand... I feel like I'm running off their ear.. and it makes me feel like a pain.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abigail,I get all the water out in 2 goings- its only because i take reglan that gets stuff through me- the other day i didn't take the regalan at the advice of my dr.and man was it awful- couln't go the next day despite the wateryd. had to use an enema- I use a old fashoined bag of luke warm water. the gastro dr.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OOPS, i HIT A WRoNG BUTTON. ANY WAY, the gasto dr. wants me off reglan and my regular physcain keeps me on it- dr.s drive me crazy. if It weren't for Jesus Id be in trouble. so in short Id have the same problem as you if not for reglan. ask your dr. about a motility drug to push stuff through quicker.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Peach, thank you so much for the enema info. I will consider it and let you guys know. I will probably need more helpful info about it.Lorilou, I'm so glad that isn't just me. I like the empty feeling I get when all that water from the MOM is out of my system, but getting it out it's a struggle. Thank you for telling me about Reglan. I will ask my GI doc about a motility drug. Do any of these motility drugs give you painful cramps to have a bowel movement? How long have you been taking Reglan? Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thank you sooo much for your replies.God bless,Abi

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no, the motility drugs ( I i=used to be on propulsid before they took it off market) does not give me cramping- its used to treat reflux and gastro paresisis ( sp?) but anyway it does the job- not many folks are on it long term but I have been on it 7 years! it supposedly can have nasty side effects but praise God I have none except it can make you a little drowsy but Im used to it now and don't even notice.ther may be other stuff out theree, I don't know but I know from my trial the other day that I need something or else Im walking around witha tummy full fo water that only comes out a litlle at a time! even with e zelnorm!! the zelnorm does do its job one time in the am. but nothing in the evening.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Abigail, about the 32 pills. I've never heard of that. I've taken the Colyte, Fleet Phosopho Soda, and other liquids they dream up! What exactly are the pills called? Let us know how everything goes with your test.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Exactly Lorilou, my doctors tell me to stop obsessing about going every day, they say i don't need to go everyday. I said the exact same thing...i am not obsessed! it's all about the pain! I tried not going everyday but it just gets worse and worse everyday. Very strange the way our intestines are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.