Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone--fairly new poster here, I think I posted last a few years ago but am a long time lurker.I have had IBS-D for the past nine years, and it seems to have only gotten worse. I have been at my job for five years (I work in a call center, so I am on the phone all day--yuck) and for two years I have had to take Intermittent Family Leave whenever I went to the bathroom or was late or absent to work, so I did have job protection.The catch is, Family Medical Leave only gives protection for 12 weeks. Back in July, I attempted suicide (I also have severe depression) and have been on leave for the past two months. Unfortunately, my psychiatrist thinks that I should go back to work. I am doing much better now, and feel pretty confident for the future, except that I have run out of my 12 weeks.I am terrified that my job will try to fire me because of my absenteeism and tardiness, which I CANNOT control. I have no vacation, no sick time left, and am terrified I will end up on the street.Has anyone else had this situation? If anyone has a similar story, please share it. It may help to hear someone else's story, even if it was bad news. At least I will feel a little prepared.ThanksJosh W

·
Registered
897 Posts
Are you taking any medication? Has your psychiatrist talked about anti-anxiety/anti-depressant drugs that might help you? Things are obviously rough for you right now, so getting them under control with the right meds could give you the chance to get involved in other therapies--relaxation techniques, yoga and other things metiioned on this board--which might prove to be the best long term solutions. Take care.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wouldn't be certain about getting unemployment. I was fired for my constant tardiness and was not able to collect. I just wish I had pushed the point of it being medically related, it may have saved me some debt.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've found Dr. Bolen's book: Breaking the Bonds of Irritable Syndrome very helpful in helping me function at work.Also, what have you done in the dietary dept. to deal with IBS? The most beneficial thing for me was going off of corn--in all forms--especially high fructose corn syrup which is found in breads and beverages and candies and sauces...and...well, the list goes on...Best wishes,Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.