Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've avoided trips away/holidays for as long as I can remember but my boyfriends gone away with friends for 5 days now and I've decided I'm sick of putting him through this. How many of you manage to go on short breaks/holidays? How do you cope if you have a flare whilst away? My main symptom is the pain, and if it kicks in I really have an overwhelming anxiety of needing to get home that minute. How do I manage if I can't get home?I really know it would benefit my relationship if we could do things together, even if only overnight so tell me girls and guys, how can I do this? I'm only 22 and I HATE my life being over already!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A lot of people do well on vacation as they can moderate their stress levels a lot better so many people are just fine on vacation. If you stress out that you will have problems you will make it worse.I would make sure you have a hotel room or someplace you can go to if you need it, but a lot of people are much better on vacation because they don't have to worry so much about being to work on time and all that stuff.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi im not sure where u live, but im from the uk... and have been on holiday a few times.. i always have to go somewhere that has toilets.. i.e pubs, or public toilets.. I hate public transport so normally drive, in my car, my parents, sis's or one of my friends (wouldnt say im a fan of the last one), just because if i need to go its unpossible unless we stop.I do agree when your on holiday, you dont now anyone u are more relaxed and may find.. your ibs is very much improved.Where are you thinking of going??Im in the same boot as you, i am only young.. and really could do with going away somewhere nice.. but travelling is a issue, i.e on a plane.. even thinking about it makes me worried.. what if this happened!!! ne suggestions..Id me interested how u get on.!!! CW_2009 x PS Ive been fine in england i even went camping over night and that was good, i think a break in england would be good.. or just a short break may be a good idea.. if you like it you could go for longer.. go with your partner first on your own. so you are relaxed.And my last holiday my friend got stuck in the public toilet couldnt get worse really esp when their was only one public toilet in the village :) can laugh about it now

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also find going on holiday difficult, mostly because I can't eat out in restaurants (not more than once a week). We went on a family holiday this summer across the border (to the USA). I brought all my favourite foods (except couldn't take fruits and veggies across the border). My husband made sure we rented a little cottage. We also went to Montreal after and stayed in a hotel that had a little kitchenette so I could could for myself. The only hard part was that when we were in the US (Vermont - beautiful!!!) my husband, kids and his family went out for dinner every night. I stayed and cooked for myself in the cottage
.... A bit lonely.I agree that you should start out going on holiday somewhere near by... a few hours drive??? with lots of rest stops along the way (if you have IBS-D, which I don't thankfully).Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.