Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wnderng if anyne feels le I do and hate t go ut to eat in restaurants I love to eat knwing if willnt get sick but wth my IBs D I never nw what might trigger t and i absoutely hate t g to eat in restaurants ele thnk I am nuts, but it scares me smuch, and then I get real uptight and nervious and that make sit worse. what do you think f this do yu at all feel ike like I do and what do you do abut it

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dee Dee-it is a shame that you can't enjoy a meal out at a restaurant. I'm no good for breakfast or lunch but am usually past the worse by my evening meal so have no worries about eating out then. I'm afraid I usually resort to saying I'm not hungry enough at lunch time to go to a restaurant (actually its true) but providing I'm in safe company or its easy to slip to the loo in the evening then I don't have a problem. Having said that I wouldn't be comfortable to go to someones house for dinner-could manage a party with lots of people but not a cosy dinner party-that would make me too nervous-husband can't understand it at all!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Restaurant food is often a trigger for IBS. The portion sizes are bigger, they add more fat to the food than most people do at home and if you have any worry or dread you will react that will set it of as well.If you do need to go to places, check to see if there is a menu on line and see if you can find lower fat and lighter meals. Also if you know you have certain food triggers be willing to special order your meal. Get sauces, gravies, and dressings on the side so you can control the amount and you can ask for food to be grilled, broiled, or steamed without extra fat. You may also deal with portion sizes by asking for a to go box to be brought with the entree. Put 1/2 the meal in the box before your start and you will be more likely to eat an appropriate sized meal. We eat more when we sit in front of a huge plate that is mounded with lots of food. If you need specific ingredients out, use "I have an allergy" as a cover. They usually understand that excuse and will usually do as you ask. Having someone taken out by EMT's during a meal isn't good for business and sometimes allergies are that bad. Many restaurants have a gluten free menu or other specialty menus and you can usually find that out online as well and those may have meals that are better for you (even if you don't need to limit gluten).A lot of people do special orders as they are pretty standard weight loss strategies so they have probably get several of these requests every day.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Petra, that's exactly how I feel. I'm far more comfortable going to places with public restrooms because I feel like it would be less embarassing than having an attack in the house of someone I don't know particularly well. Fortunately, most of my friends know of my issues at this point, but if I wind up at a party of a friend of a friend or something like that, I'm more nervous. At least in public you have a better idea of the availability and presence of restrooms!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.