Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am planning a trip to Cancun in March with my best friend but I am a little nervous! I have not travelled in 5 yrs when I was 16, and my IBS was not as bad as it is now! I'm just a little nervous b/c they say not to drink water,eat ice or anything b/c of the water problem down there. Isn't there a med you can get from your doctor to prevent D while there, I remember someone telling me about this...Well I will def have a talk with my doc before I go, but how do you guys deal with travelling and IBS?? Thanks!Tammy :love:

·
Registered
538 Posts
I travel to Mexico a lot on vacations.The first thing I do is go to a store and buy a six pack of bottled water, bottled sodas, packaged snacks like trail mix, crackers, cookies, and anything else that is packaged. The bottled juices are safe. Buy a bottle of liquor if you like to drink. Don't drink stuff with crushed ice in it from a bar. Place it safe and ask for bottled drinks. I prefer to eat only from the hotel I am staying at because they try to keep the food as safe as they can for Americans. It is best to eat cooked foods. Stay away from mayo, salad dressings. Make sure the seafood is well cooked. Stay away from trigger foods. Your doctor can give you antiboitics sp so you can protect yourself against Travelers dirrehea. Also take a bottle of pepto bismol to take a couple of tablespoons of it to coat your stomach before you eat. It slurps up any bacteria in your stomach linning and eliminates it through your bm. That is what my doctor said to me. Also, you can buy any meds for your stomach in a Mex-Pharmacy. You can buy immodium, buscapina which is for stomach spasms. Most stuff is sold over the counter. You can also buy other meds for other problems. Good time to stock up. When I go to the beach or on a bus tour, I carry a bottle of water, soda and snacks. I try not to eat anything at any restaurant til I get back to the hotel. You can eat french fries and hamburgers at your hotel cafe. Yum!! Or anything else you feel like eating. Have lots of fun and stay away from the food buffets because the foods stay out all day in the heat. Mexico likes to serve lots of creamy dairy stuff like sour cream, custard, and creamy dressings. Have fun and fast while you are out having fun. My advise comes from my own personal experiences. Maybe some other people will tell you differently. I have a sensitive stomach and IBS-D.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I travel to Mexico a lot on vacations.The first thing I do is go to a store and buy a six pack of bottled water, bottled sodas, packaged snacks like trail mix, crackers, cookies, and anything else that is packaged. The bottled juices are safe. Buy a bottle of liquor if you like to drink. Don't drink stuff with crushed ice in it from a bar. Place it safe and ask for bottled drinks. I prefer to eat only from the hotel I am staying at because they try to keep the food as safe as they can for Americans. It is best to eat cooked foods. Stay away from mayo, salad dressings. Make sure the seafood is well cooked. Stay away from trigger foods. Your doctor can give you antiboitics sp so you can protect yourself against Travelers dirrehea. Also take a bottle of pepto bismol to take a couple of tablespoons of it to coat your stomach before you eat. It slurps up any bacteria in your stomach linning and eliminates it through your bm. That is what my doctor said to me. Also, you can buy any meds for your stomach in a Mex-Pharmacy. You can buy immodium, buscapina which is for stomach spasms. Most stuff is sold over the counter. You can also buy other meds for other problems. Good time to stock up. When I go to the beach or on a bus tour, I carry a bottle of water, soda and snacks. I try not to eat anything at any restaurant til I get back to the hotel. You can eat french fries and hamburgers at your hotel cafe. Yum!! Or anything else you feel like eating. Have lots of fun and stay away from the food buffets because the foods stay out all day in the heat. Mexico likes to serve lots of creamy dairy stuff like sour cream, custard, and creamy dressings. Have fun and fast while you are out having fun. My advise comes from my own personal experiences. Maybe some other people will tell you differently. I have a sensitive stomach and IBS-D.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also have heard to stay away from salads. Because the lettuce is washed in water prior to serving. Someone I know went down there and was very careful on what she ate. Well she decided to have a salad and then was very sick. She forgot that salad is washed in water before serving.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also have heard to stay away from salads. Because the lettuce is washed in water prior to serving. Someone I know went down there and was very careful on what she ate. Well she decided to have a salad and then was very sick. She forgot that salad is washed in water before serving.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Here's a hint: When you take a shower, put some mouthwash in your mouth. That way, you are not going to open your mouth and get the yucky water in your system!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Here's a hint: When you take a shower, put some mouthwash in your mouth. That way, you are not going to open your mouth and get the yucky water in your system!

·
Registered
58 Posts
check that the seals on bottles are intact before opening as some less-scrupulous vendors might be refilling the empties with tap water.

·
Registered
58 Posts
check that the seals on bottles are intact before opening as some less-scrupulous vendors might be refilling the empties with tap water.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I spent a month in cancun a couple years ago. Mexico is where I got ameobic dysentary that almost killed me and my IBS began. That was from a swimming pool outside Mexico city a long time ago.Canccun, however is a pretty safe place. I would drink bottled water, but for the most part the water is safe, like showers etc..Great places to eat there, Pernico's is awesome as well as "The Grill" although the name is in spanish and I cannot think of it at the moment, was another awesome restaurant (I have been a chef for a long time)that I recommend. Also go out to Isla Mujeres as that is extremely beutiful.
Have fun. Cancun is a fun place to say the least.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I spent a month in cancun a couple years ago. Mexico is where I got ameobic dysentary that almost killed me and my IBS began. That was from a swimming pool outside Mexico city a long time ago.Canccun, however is a pretty safe place. I would drink bottled water, but for the most part the water is safe, like showers etc..Great places to eat there, Pernico's is awesome as well as "The Grill" although the name is in spanish and I cannot think of it at the moment, was another awesome restaurant (I have been a chef for a long time)that I recommend. Also go out to Isla Mujeres as that is extremely beutiful.
Have fun. Cancun is a fun place to say the least.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi Tamgirl. Everyone has given you great advise. I have a favor to ask of you. Can you ask a Mex-pharmacist if Lotronex is sold in Mexico? It may be called Lotronexa in Mex. American Glaxco, France, Germany, and other countries export their meds to sell in Mexico at a affordable cost to the Mex people. They have excellant drugs in Mexico. Tell the pharmacist you have IBS and he or she may advise you on what to take for the problem. Mexican Pharmacist are used to Americans asking for American Meds. So have lots of fun in Cancun. Please e-mail me when you get back. lucia91371###yahoo.com See you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi Tamgirl. Everyone has given you great advise. I have a favor to ask of you. Can you ask a Mex-pharmacist if Lotronex is sold in Mexico? It may be called Lotronexa in Mex. American Glaxco, France, Germany, and other countries export their meds to sell in Mexico at a affordable cost to the Mex people. They have excellant drugs in Mexico. Tell the pharmacist you have IBS and he or she may advise you on what to take for the problem. Mexican Pharmacist are used to Americans asking for American Meds. So have lots of fun in Cancun. Please e-mail me when you get back. lucia91371###yahoo.com See you.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Eric, cool pictures, thanks!!!
Lucia: I will def let you know how my trip goes, going to see the travel agent this Thursday!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts