Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all your advice about my upcoming colonoscopy (it has been rescheduled for 1/26). Any suggestions for getting that horrible go-lytle drink down. Does anyone really drink a whole gallon. Also, the drugs they give you to sedate you, how did you feel. I am afraid of drugs.Debbie

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mix the "yummy" stuff with crystal lite (not a red flavor) and refrigerate. The colder it is, the better. As soon as the stuff becomes room temp - even grosser! Drink it as fast as you can (without throwing it up!). I watched a tv show the night before and forced my self to drink 1/2 to 1 glass each commercial. It is the hardest part of the whole colonoscopy. Most people start to go "clear" before an entire gallon is finished. Once your stool is clear ( as in looking TOTALLY like water) your done with the prep. Did your doctor tell you to eat nothing but clears the day you start the prep? That will help to move things along quickly. As far as administration of the meds - no problem. You feel a little dizzy at first, and then usually the next thing you know your waking up in the recovery room. If you start to feel uncomfortable at anytime during the procedure - let them know. Good luck, you'll be fine!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
NuLYTELY is better tasting (or so the company will have us believe) than GoLytely because it doesn't have the sodium sulfate. And NuLYTELY comes in several flavors
Finally, if your doctor allows it (you can become dehydrated), Fleet's phospho soda while probably much worse tasting only requires you drink a tiny portion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing! I suggest that you drink plenty of the golytely plain. Then, when you can't stand it anymore, add the crystal light. One thing that helped me was that my 5 year old daughter made me the prettiest get well card I've EVER seen and brought it into the bathroom for me (it's still there, a year later). Sorry, I just wanted to mention her...she's the BEST.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drank the whole gallon, and with every glass I got more and more distended. It didn't produce a bowel movement whatsoever. I called my doctor and he didn't believe me so I went to the hospital and showed him my stomache which looked like I was nine months pregnant. I even called halfway through the gallon and he told me to finish it even though nothing was coming out. I wound up having to be drugged for the pain and I still can't remeber how they got me cleaned out. Instead I checked in a day prior to the colonoscopy and had enemas done all day. Just a warning to anyone who has a severe motility disorder they might want to check with their doctor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NuLytely is better tasting than GoLytely or Colyte. NuLytely comes in orange, cherry, and lemon-lime flavors. My patients tell me the lemon-lime is good. There is an alternative if you speak to your physician there is a prep using Fleet Phospho-soda. The stuff tastes like battery acid but at least you only need to take 3 tablespoons of it on 2 separate occasions. Talk to your Dr. there can be medical reasons not to use it. DO NOT MIX IT WITH ANYTHING BUT WATER. NO NO NO!!!! Anything that changer the concentration of the purge can effect how it works and cause you to not be clean enough for the procedure, and you DON'T want to go thru the prep a second time. Good Ludk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Judykaye, are you saying you shouldn't mix the Nulytely with anything but water or the the Golytely? We tell ALL of our patients to mix the Golytely with crystal lite. Of course check with your doctor for his apporval. This won't change the concentration of the active ingredient. As long as you start going "clear" the deed is done. Call your GI clinic to find out what your particular doctor tells his patients for helpful hints.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:re you saying you shouldn't mix the Nulytely with anything but water or the the Golytely?
No, the Fleet's. The apparent rationale is that one change its concentration affecting how well it purges the gut.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The option of adding Crystal Light was on the instruction sheet given to me by my doctor. I'd like to add an important suggestion. MAKE SURE you have good soft toilet paper (I actually started using Puffs w/aloe after my bottom was on fire). Also, apply Desitin as often as possible (b-4 getting sore is the key!)

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Another tidbit...I have had 4 (Yes, FOUR!!
) colonoscopies..no problems..I ate very lightly prior to starting the Golytely, so there was less cramping. One thing...the instructions said to drink the stuff every 15 to 20 minutes or so, but that can result in bloating and tummy aches, so if you wish, my GI said it is OK to stretch it out longer between doses to 20 min or 30 if you are really uncomfortable. All this does is make the time on the pot a little longer, but not as painful...Also, I had a thermos in the can with me, to keep it as cold as possible, and then had my kid refill it. Worst part of the whole ordeal. Ask for lots of Versed...la la land...you won't remember too much and afterwards (before you fully wake up) you will ask the same questions over and over again and never know it. My friend took me in one week, and her hubby the next week...same procedure, same GI...and we both did the same thing!!!!
Good luck...remember, just about all of us IBSers have had it done, the docs perform these routinely, and we are all still walking around...survived it...BTW...you will be pretty hungry after the whole thing is over!!! ------------------Marilyn

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is an alternative! I have had three successful colonoscopy preps without any "liquids from Hell". My doctor uses a two day diet. On the second day (one day pre-procedure) the diet is clear liquids only and 2 Dulcolax tablets at noon, 3:00, and 6:00. That's all she wrote! The diet is very specific. My preps were "excellent" according to my doctor. No cramping. A good night's sleep before the actual procedure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.