Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been posted before, and for that I am sorry, but research about IBS is changing all the time, so I'd thought I'd just ask in a new thread :(What are good all-the-time foods for IBS? I'm talking foods that I can base my entire diet upon?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is no one size fits all diet for IBS.Some foods that loosen up stools may be good if you are constipated and bad if you tend to diarrhea.Most typical base my whole diet on it foods if you needed a start is skinless chicken breasts cooked with very little fat, a relatively easy on the system veggie (like spinach) usually cooked, and rice. Lean fish can be alternated with the chicken. Rice is usually the easiest grain for people and the veggie varies (but you want to stay away from dried beans, peas, and cabbage family veggies as they all increase gas, you could do sweet potatoes or carrots if you are OK with fructose, and some people are and some aren't).Fruits are often problematic from either sorbitol or fructose in them. Cooking helps deal with the sorbitol. Berries, Grapes, Citrus and most of the tropical fruits like bananas tend to be lower in sorbitol.Generally the overall patterns that seem to help.Some people do well mostly restricting fat and can eat most things as long as the meal is low fatSome people do better with low carb diets and may tolerate more fat, but really have to reduce starchy and sugary foods.Alcohol and caffeine tend to increase diarrhea, but may not for you.We do have a separate forum for diet discussion you might want to check outhttp://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showforum=19 is the direct link.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts