Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going in circles with IBS/D for a few years, my doctor informs me that, according to some recent symptoms, I may have arthritis.However, I'm more and more convinced that this might be Fibromyalgia, a condition involving muscle and connective tissue. One of the symptoms of that is, indeed, IBS! Suddenly things seem to fall into place.Does anyone else have any experience with this?

G

·
Hi Tess!
Yep, there are others here with fibromyalgia ... if you go to "Hop to" at the bottom of the page, you will see that there is a forum here for fibro and CFS, where you should be able to find more info about this.
Julie------------------*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

G

·
Aloha, Tess yes I just had that recently happen to me. They both come hand in hand. In some people. I've had IBS for over 20 yrs. Then something very stressfull happened to me and Then the FM came on. Wow it's very hard to live with and very painfull at times. I think I'd take the IBS any over the FM. But the drugs they gave me for the FM Helped the Ibs. There are some great sites for FM.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Does your doctor mean rheumatoid arthritis or osteo arthritis? I can see why he may be concered you have rheumatoid arthritis as some of the symptoms can be similar to fibromyalgia or CFS. You should have some blood tests to see if you have an autoimmune disease (RA is one of them, Fibromyalgia and CFS are not). ESR & CRP (which may be elevated in Fibro & CFS), anti-DNA, ANA, and possibly complements and complexes too. susan

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Ditto what Wanderingstar said...rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease and different from regular arthritis. I've also see LOTS of people with FM and hypothyroidism on my thyroid boards that I frequent...they seem to go hand in hand often.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Seems like a good many of those researching FM/CFS feel that IBS & certain forms of arthritis (sorry forget which) have much in common, is being linked to infection, or at least stemming from some past viral infection. Some are more convinced of this than others, but expect that it is still a long way before it comes out of the theory stage.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
IBS is a common secondary condition of M.E/CFS. Possibly because sufferers of the latter condition have autonomic nervous system weirdness going on, possibly because they are more sensitive to food. susan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts