Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday and got put on dicyclomine and another appointment was rescheduled for this Wednesday to do blood work to test for various things including vitamin D deficiency and food allergies. I am so relieved and happy because my symptoms have, so far, completely disappeared on dicyclomine. I hope it continues to work because this is great!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
May it continue! Thanks for letting us know and keep us posted!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
It is an antispasmodic.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday and got put on dicyclomine and another appointment was rescheduled for this Wednesday to do blood work to test for various things including vitamin D deficiency and food allergies. I am so relieved and happy because my symptoms have, so far, completely disappeared on dicyclomine. I hope it continues to work because this is great!
Please update us as to how this works out for you.Can you take dicyclomine on a regular basis?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please update us as to how this works out for you.Can you take dicyclomine on a regular basis?
Yes, in fact that is the way you are supposed to take it. The dosage I'm on right now is to take one 20mg tablet 3 times a day. It's amazing because my stomach used to gurgle all the time, even when I wasn't having problems right at that moment, but since I've been taking dicyclomine my stomach has been virtually silent. On the occasions when it actually does rumble and gurgle a bit it is just gas, which is a refreshing change from how things used to be.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes, in fact that is the way you are supposed to take it. The dosage I'm on right now is to take one 20mg tablet 3 times a day. It's amazing because my stomach used to gurgle all the time, even when I wasn't having problems right at that moment, but since I've been taking dicyclomine my stomach has been virtually silent. On the occasions when it actually does rumble and gurgle a bit it is just gas, which is a refreshing change from how things used to be.
Ah I think I know what kind of drug you use now. I myself got prescribed Hyoscyamin which seem to be pretty much the same thing. Didn't work for me but I only took very small dosage so depending on how my experiment with calcium turn out I may give it another shot with bigger dosage.I'm glad it worked for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tried Dicyclomine for a few weeks but found that it made most of my symptoms worse & it didn't allow me to pass stool as easily as I normally would. But i'm glad it is working for you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, things were going great until today. I had another flare up and had to take Imodium in addition to my prescription medication. The nurse practitioner I go to suggested either Bentyl (dicyclomine) or an anti-anxiety medication (can't remember the name of it) to treat my bowel issues. I decided to try Bentyl first as I figured that my anxiety was caused by IBS, but now I'm wondering if it works both ways: anxiety triggers IBS attacks and IBS attacks trigger anxiety. At my Wednesday appointment I think I'll ask her if an anti-anxiety med can be taken in conjunction with Bentyl since it seems like the IBS and anxiety feed off each other.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
D :(Many of us have to supplement with imodium no matter what else we are taking.. even Lotronex! So I wouldn't worry about having to use imodium once in awhile as opposed to having to start an anti-anxiety med. Imodium is over the counter and safe. An rx for an anti-anxiety is usually time limited and many folks find the side effects hard to deal with. But ask your Dr about using either or both at your appointment on Wed. Also you can always try self relaxation techniques for a bit to help ease any anxiety you are feeling. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I had another doctor's appointment today. I had the blood work done and was also prescribed Buspar to take in conjunction with the Bentyl. This will hopefully help take care of the anxiety I've been having off and on for quite some time. Lately I've noticed that whenever I start to worry or panic about something it can trigger my stomach to start gurgling and I will then have diarrhea shortly afterward. This still occurs even after being put on Bentyl, so I am really hoping that adding Buspar to the mix will calm my nerves and, in turn, calm my colon as well.Also, hopefully something will show up in the blood work that might be a clue as to why I have had these digestive issues for so long. Personally I'm hoping to find out I am allergic to something so I can just cut whatever it is out of my diet and I can get better.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Also you might see benefit from learning to avoid feeling panic at all. Maybe talk to your Dr about some other kind of therapy, besides medicinal, regarding your anxiety. We all have stress, we all have concerns...we just need to find a healthy ways to manage them.All the best with the Buspar and I hope you get back to feeling better real soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my situation has improved somewhat since being on Bentyl and Buspar, yet I still have flare ups every now and then. I also got my food allergy results in today and found out that I am not allergic to any foods. This is a disappointment because I was hoping to find out I was allergic to something (or several things) so that I could eliminate it from my diet and drastically improve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.