Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Good news!

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Kathleen M. 
G
#1 ·
I have been on and off this sight for D related help and sometimes it was great to hear I was not alone and other times I NEEDED to hear success stories to know there is hope....so here is mine..finally.I know people have their own recipes for success
but mine was the calcium that Linda recommended ( I take 3 times a day) and I am taking 10 mg of an anti-depressant. Who knows if it did the trick but it is working and I urge any of you - all of you to stick wth the calcium - it took me about 3 weeks. I have also started walking - I am not one to believe in mind over matter but when you are relaxed due to exercise or a little bit of medication - it does WONDERS!!!!!Wishing you all the best. I was soooo sick - everyday -- 7 - 10 times a day in the bathroom and lost a lot of weight and felt and looked like hell.Now I feel GREAT!

See less See more
#3 ·
JennyM,Thank you for letting us know of your success. It is so umbelievable to think this could help so much. For me it was to only answer after so many years of not help with anything else I tried. I am gald to have been a part of your feeling better and let others know because we are the only ones getting the info out.Charbeaner,It does bother your stomach at first so I suggest taking 1/2 tablet with food for the first 3 days to let the body adjust. This is usually all it takes.Linda

#5 ·
I take 100mg of calcium/magneseum daily, plus I walk 4 km a day which helps me to relax too. I don't get stools in the afternoon except maybe one good firm one. I have 3 or 4 soft stools in the morning, which is annoying. I just put up with it for 2 years, until I developed gurgly noises, gas, bloating, upset stomach in the lower abs. I don't know if the calcium will ever help. I was thinking of trying some milk tomorrow morning. I have to stop this 4 trips to the bathroom every morning. I worry too much!

#6 ·
Flower,You are using the wrong calcium. The magnesium is probably making you have soft stool. Get a calcium carbonate with vitamin d and take 1/2 tablet with your meal for 4 days then see what the difference is. After that adjust up or down.Linda

#7 ·
The magnesium draws water to the intestines and thus the gurgling noise you get as the bowels spasme to force out the waste.Linda

#9 ·
Linda's suggestion of Caltrate 600 has sure helped me but my "upper stomach" has never really gotten used to it and I MUST take it with food. Due to a reflux condition, I am aware that I must be careful but I guess I just get lazy or busy, which ever excuse works. I would rather take more Nexium and crackers than to have the big "D" all the time. I wish my upper and lower gut would work more as a team. I also refuse to give up my wine which I'm sure doesn't help but I don't want to take pills all the time so I just drink fine wine in a box!

#10 ·
3riversbear,How much calcium do you take. You do have to take it with food. Most usually get past the indigestion and gas after about 3 days. Maybe for you taking 1/2 tablet at each meal may work better and you won't get the indigestion.Linda

#12 ·
Whatever says equivalant to Caltrate (there is one that is usually purple wiht just a little bit of magnesium,much less than most Cal-Mag suppelments, and I think the pink is just Calcium Carbonate and Vit D.)Magnesium draws water into the stools. It is what makes Milk of Magnesia a laxative.Usually people take 300-600 mgs with each of three meals.K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.