Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a resteraunt as a waitress and have been there almost a year. My main boss knew about my condition and said if id work w him and let him know if I'm feeling too ill to let him know in advance and try for a docters note. I already updated them on my doc switching my medication. The result in that ended in a severe ibs attack. As I thought he would be understanding.....he was not and told me I was off the schedule etc. I cried and pleaded but ultimatley I was let go. Can they fire you with ibs or any condition? I am also bi polar(type 1) help

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think it's legal but that won't stop people unfortunately. Depending on your type of IBS you might look into office work (call centers almost always need people) or if you can handle a little bit of physical work become a janitor... they are always needed, it's not as icky as you think (most of it involves routine stuff like dusting shelves and mopping floors) plus you can take bathroom breaks at your leisure.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Also what is a good job to work w ibs with just a highschool dilpoma?
I recommend learning new skills to get more choices. What kinds of jobs are you interested in ? You don't have to be necessarily qualified for them. Just tell us anyway.

Then, we can make suggestions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am in the same boat as with finding a job. I would not recommend call centers, you dont have to deal with people face to face, but the ones here where I am are strict about phone calls and timing. So you would not be able to end a call early or leave your post unless you are on a break. I am trying to get a job stocking somehwere. Wal-mart, grocery stores, department stores, anything like that where I am constantly moving around on the floor so that if I have to use the restroom it will not be a big deal and noone will miss me for too long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I honestly don't know what would be a good job for someone with ibs. I work in an office and sometimes I have a lot of gas. It is extremely embarrassing to be sitting in a quiet office and your stomach starts to rumble and everyone looks at you. I think I would prefer physical work actually, where it is less noticeable for people. Maybe any job where there isn't many people around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I work in a call center with IBS, and it is not easy. I get 3 breaks a day with about 2.5 hours between each of them and i go to the restroom at work about 9 times a day. It is hard because managers watch your break time closely as well are always wondering why you're leaving your desk so much. People just dont understand that we cant help when we go to the bathroom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.