Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie. I have IBS-C and last week I thought I wanted to kill myself (only an expression) because of the constant bloating and pain. I had not had a bowel movements in days and I was at my wits end. Then, thanks to some posts on this board I started a regimen that has made me pretty regular (bowel movement every other day), but now my gas has become lethal (smell). Please help me sort out what is causing the smelly gas. Here is the regimen:-Take Zelnorm twice a day (have been on it for 6 months)-Take benefiber twice a day in peppermint and fennel tea. ( both are suppose to calm the GI tract)-Take 400mg Magnisum & B6 100mg after meals-Watching what I eat. Am eating mostly soluable fiber.Last night I did have these frozen mini quiches (I know dairy is out of the question, but that was all there was in the fridge). I then followed it up with graham crackers which are suppose to be good for those with IBS. I have been reading that as long as you mix insoluable fiber with solubale fiber you GI tract will be O.K. Please advise ASAP.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:please help me sort out what is causing the smelly gas
Odoriferous gas generally consists of one or more of the following gases:dimethyl sulfidemethanthiolhydrogen sulfideAll of these gases are derived from the action of specific bacteria on undigested material containing sulfur. These include many protein-containing foods such as meat and eggs.
quote:I know dairy is out of the question
Why do you think that? It does happen to contain sulfur, though.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Are there any animal proteins which are reasonably safe to consume? Admittedly, the chicken breasts I cook at home to eat at work have a strong sulphurous smell when I open my container to reheat them. I eat a lot of chicken, so maybe that is part of my problem with gas.My understanding, in a very simplistic way, is that carbs cause gas and protein the odor. Either way, I'm doomed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. So is it likely that the eggs (protein) that I eat last night can still be causing havoc on my body over 12 hours later? That seems like a long time.

·
Registered
830 Posts
sometimes mag supps can provoke gas (but help with the C so it's a choice between two evils) - a lot of us are susceptible to bad gas from dairy and/or wheat and/or corn products as well as fructose, sorbitol, mannitol (are you consuming "sugarless" products that contain these ingredients: gum, candy, etc?) - the Benefiber might also be contributing to the gas/bloat......

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info. I stopped taking the mag supps yesterday,but am still stinky. I read that mag in the water supply can give out a egg rot smell. If it does that to water, I guess it can do that to me. The benefiber is suppose to be a better product than metamucil because it causes less bloating and gas. It's now Monday and I wonder if the quiches that I had on Saturday night can still be doing a number on me. What is the time frame to get food out of your system completely?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Um never heard that with Magesium. Sulfur is usually the ingredient in stinky egg smell.Um...eggs in Quiche would be a way to get sulfur into the diet, and out the other end.I do find feeding the bacteria in my gut with Iron supplements does seem to increase the sulfur-reducing ones (the ones that make the stinky gas) I do know Iron is needed for a lot of bacteria to grow well, not sure if Magnesium could have the same effect.Typical transit time is out within 72 hours. But if you fed the bacteria well they could be at a higher concentration for longer than the food that fed them.Pepto Bismol can reduce the gas smell, sometimes in doses low enough it doesn't constipate, but everyone is different with that.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ok checked it out. The magnesium in the water doesn't directly cause the smell but can chemically change sulfites into hydrogen sulfide (which smells).I don't know if that could occur in the gut (not sure what pH and all that stuff is needed for the reaction to occur, but what I found was a magensium rod in a water heater...and I don't know if that is the same situation with a Magnesium Salt in a supplement....the metal itself and it's ions can have very different properties).K

·
Registered
49 Posts
whew - eggs give me sulfur gas and reflux like there is no tomorrow!! i am not sure why some BMs reek and others don't but for me, the reekers are usually from a spasm and contain lots of poop. I am vegetarian and when I poop after not doing so for a while, it smells real bad, but I feel much better.Thanks for the regimen tip.PS Do graham crackers actually have any fiber? I thought not?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Questions on the Regimen:1..How much volume in your meals? I am told overeating also causes constipation. (I have reflux and more than 2 cups of food starts me spasming - 1 cup of food fits nicely for a snack.)2. Do you eat vegetables? If so, which ones and how much per meal?3. How many grams of fiber do you get a day? Can you replace the benefiber with fibrous food and still BM?4. What does B6 do? I thought it was bad for you in high doses?I just got Zelnorm today and want to try this Regimen. Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I am told overeating also causes constipation.
Overeating on its own would not do that. But if you have slow-transit, then obviously the more you put in, the more work for the colon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.