Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,Today I had an appointment with one of the top GIs in New York City. We talked about my symptoms and then he examined me. I hadn't been examined by a GI yet and was fearing that my diarrhea might be Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis.They did a sigmoidoscopy and he said it's all clear, ruling out Ulcerative Colitis. He said from the symptoms he's fairly sure it will turn out to be IBS but they have to do some blood work and such to rule out parasites, Celiac's disease and I guess Crohn's.So - the question is - the sigmoidoscopy doesn't rule out Crohn's, right? Only UC.Believe it or not I am glad that I may have (only) IBS. My symptoms are not too bad, occurring only once every 2-3 weeks.He prescribed an anti-spasmodic called Newvel and told me to get some citrucel.

· Registered
98 Posts
Crohn's can occur ANYWHERE in the gastrointestinal tract - from the mouth to anus. So, although a sigmoidoscopy can rule out Crohn's in the lower region of your bowel, an endoscopy and colonscopy should be done to rule out problems further up the gut.Glad to hear that you have received some news - if you have to have further tests, hope all goes well
Polly

· Registered
23,788 Posts
What doc do you have there, is it the mind body digestive center?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.