Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had ibs for around 8 years. It started to happen around the time I was on antibiodics (I had to take 3 seperate courses for 3 seperate operations) and also went through some major emotional battles along with poor diet and no exercise. prior to this, i never really felt anxious and my stomach was great except for when I had an practical exam or something and used to just get "butterflies". So at this stage of my life, my anxiety started to grow and I became a much more private person (not due to ibs). My ibs at that point, was just getting d in the morning if i didnt have much sleep (i still have this, is there pattern between sleep and d?) or had a little stress and then i would be fine for the rest of the day. Over the years its been getting progressively worse and now I get more c than d and i get more gas and incontinence. My anxiety also got alot worse (not only from ibs but more like being judged in public and also paranoid about my hygiene which is ibs related). I have tried almost everything ranging from hypnosis, antidepressants, pepperment oil, antispasmodics, priobiotics, fibre, blood tests, stool tests etc. except for an exclusion diet (i had did meet with a dietician and had a food journal but we couldnt find any trends), therapy and antibiodics. On most days, I have a bm in the morning after a coffee (generally is soft but looks more like its in c form). Generally I feel okay (tolerable) if I feel safe i.e. dont have to be in public, dont have any things to do, no pressures, or im at a friends house etc. but if something comes up where I dont feel safe or in control my stomach starts to get upset (mostly from fear of my ibs playing up but also due to the stress or worry of the activity). What happens is i have a constant feeling of having to go to the toilet but when i go its either just gas or only a small amount (in the form of c) comes out. This feeling doesnt really go away and I can keep having small bm's if I want (I almost try to in order to get rid of the gotta go feeling). I used to think this was constipation and try to take enough magnesium to get it all out although this would usually end bad and I have a long period of d. "Most" of the time, if I drink alcohol excessively, i can avoid the onset of symptoms and my cares and feel fine.Am i acutally constipated or is it the anxiety messing with my 'gotta go signals' ? put differently, would my bm look better formed (i wouldnt technically be constipated) if it had more time in my colon rather than being premature and forced out? Any ways to deal with this hypersensitivity?Should I refrain from having a coffee in the morning? I either wake up and feel like theres a bm I need to pass and the coffee quickens that process, or i dont feel like having a bm and coffee doesnt really affect anything and I actually feel quite good in general. How can I deal with anxiety and its effects? Do I need therapy to try rewire myself? Ive tried antidepressants like zoloft on low doses and they helped for a short period but then had no effect. do I need a stronger dose? can valium be used or wont i be able to function properly?Does having less sleep than your normal routine affect your bowels?Anyways, im pretty convinced most of these upsets are in my head and I would be almost cured if my memory of ibs could be wiped haha. Even just the thought of past events and what people might have thought makes my stomach churn.Im seeing a doctor this week but i wouldnt mind hearing some suggestions from this board.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.