Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have just been back to my GP cause i was feeling like hell again,and guess what i was told . I am sorry but there is nothing more we can do,but don't worry it has a shelf life of 25 years.(oh i said thats ok cause i've done 6 already,i will just get over this and i will peg out . haha)Has anyone else heard this cause it made me feel as if the light at the end of that tunnle was getting farther and farther away..thanks for reading Heidiellen

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Sounds a bit daft to me.Although I have had doctors say things to me about M.E/CFS like: Relapses often last for four years. If you start getting better within the first two years of the relapse, you'll probably recover a great deal. If you don't, then you won't. It's all a bit stupid really - we are all different, we all have different ways of putting ourselves into remission or easing symptoms.It sounds as if your doctor was asuming there was nothing you could do to alleviate your symptoms and therefore you expect to go on as you are, and he gave a wild guess at 25 years. But of course we now know that there are a number of things we can try to alleviate our symptoms or put ourselves into remision.Have a look at the 'Living with IBS' forum for some inspiration!!take care ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I suspect your doctor said this because he can not think of anything more to do to help you - and was trying to fob you off. Did he provide any evidence to suggest that IBS only lasts 25 years?I would suggest going to another doctor who is willing to carry on helping you and trying different tactics to tackle your IBS.What is to say you might not be free of IBS in six weeks, six months or a year? It seems so stupid to tell someone not to worry they've only got another 19 years to go! FWIW my gastro (nice chap though he is) comes out with some ridiculous things like "what are you complaining about? many people would pay millions to know how you lost all the weight!" and "IBS is all the trend nowadays, its fashionable". Yes. I love having IBS - I'm such a trendsetter!
Some Doctors! Clair

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Never heard of a 25 years and your OK again thing.But IBS tends to be chronic with a low remission rate.Something like 5% of IBSers remitte every year, so maybe he took that to mean if you wait long enough (like 25 years) 100% of people will be in remission.However, that's not the way it works. The remission rate probably isn't evenly distributed and some people will always have it and some people will have it only for a short time, not everyone has it for 25 years.....Sounds like the doc needs some remedial statistics.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Clair...IBS will only be trendy when I see movie stars pulling a designer-made diamond encrusted porta-potty around with them everywhere they go.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Would that be from diagnosis date or the appearance of symptoms date??????If it is diagnosis I've only got 13 years to go!!!!!!! Whoo Hoo!!!!!!! Yipee!!!!!What a ****!
Honey get a new Doc. BQ

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've made acquaintances with people who have had IBS for over 30 years and some who have had it for only a few years. Perhaps this doctor's goofball logic is that the average is about 25 years.On the other hand, he may have been trying (in a somewhat bogus way) to get you to accept that this condition could go on a long time. I think when we're constantly pushing ourselves, our doctors, etc. to find some kind of quick solution, we end-up making ourselves feel physically and emotionally worse. My opinion (what has worked best for me) was that after I pushed myself and my doctors enough that I had at least convinced myself that I really had IBS and not something with a more simple solution/treatment/cure(?), then I was ready to accept that IBS could be my lifelong partner. I cried when I came to this realization (and you know how we guys hate to do that), but I immediately felt a great weight had been lifted. I got rid of my "don't take no for answer attitude" with respect to IBS and realized that I still have a life in front of me right now, with or without IBS."Your Life Is Now" --John Mellencamp

·
Registered
190 Posts
I shouldn't have looked into this post. Old school physicians really p####! me off! He sounds like he belongs with the medical community that still believes IBS isn't a REAL diease and that it doesn't have a biological source to it....hogwash.There is too much research and supporting data that shows IBS is a functional disorder and can be treated.I suffered for 13 years with close minded, old schooled docs who wouldn't get their heads out of the sand. I took control myself and lucked into an OB/GYN who is up on the lastest research and I haven't been sick since. At least not due to the origin of my IBS. I have been transitioning to a vegetarian diet and pushed the fiber way too quickly.....uuuhgggh, but that would have happened prior to my IBS days so I say "bite me" to your doc and all that are in the same category with him in the medical community!OK, I'm over it now, docs like that just really get me going. I know there are probably tens of thousands of people who are suffering needlessly at the hands of docs not keeping up with the research. My doc is an OB and he knew about the research!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Shame on that doctor for telling you how long you will have IBS. I'm sorry to be harsh, but what an idiot! Yes it's true that sometimes IBS can last for 25 years, but to take on the roll of a fortune teller is inappropriate. I think that's just like telling a child he is bad, the child will come to believe it. Many people take what they hear from doctors as unshakeable truth, so basically if you trust him, you're programming your mind/body to maintain that condition for the 25 years. I'm not saying that you personally don't have the smarts to decipher whether to take 100% of his advice, or just some of it, but just think of all the people out there who are getting similar prognosis from doctors based on textbook examples from the 1940's, and buying it hook line and sinker. Sorry for venting. I have learned through my own IBS that everyone of us is different, and every IBS episode is different, there are different levels of stress in our lives at any given time, and there are just too many variables involved to use predictions.Ok, I'm shutting up now.TH

·
Registered
518 Posts
Heidi,I think they forgot to educate doctors on how to communicate with patients, he probably wanted to say something "funny", and maybe he just doesn't know how to deal with IBS-sufferers (and thinks it's all in our minds ) I'm afraid he really doesn't know what he's saying, I've had IBS-D since my teens and I'm almost 45!Fay

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank's all,I now no it will last as long as it last's. Well there is one good thing about it all by searching the web i found this site,ans i dont feel so alone..And not everyone want's to see the the fuuny side about loo joke's.And lets face it it is funny somtimes well after the event anyway ? Thanks again Heidi

·
Registered
325 Posts
A GI (who is a neighbor of mine) always tells me that IBS often gets better as you get older and that mine should be much better by the time I hit "middle-age".I'm only 28 right now and so assume that means roughly 20 more years! UGHHHH...Maybe your doc was saying something similar?I don't buy it though....

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yes Heidi!!! Sometimes if I wasn't laughing I'd be crying. I choose to laugh as often as I can.
Welcome to the club; you are in GREAT company, even if I do say so myself!
BQ

·
Registered
256 Posts
I didn't even get full blown IBS-D until I was nearly 40. I also believe there are chemical imbalances that cause it, otherwise Lotronex wouldn't work so well. If your doctor is right,I should be cured just in time to retire!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.