Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a post about IBS or Leaky Gut on Oct. 26th. I had started taking Grapefruit Seed Extract capsules on Oct. 9th. I can now say for sure, after 1 month and 1 week later, that I consider myself cured!! I have even had to start eating refried beans, navy beans and northern beans at least once a day to keep from getting constipated. I had IBS-d for 20 years. I quit taking the grapefruit seed capsules after 3 weeks. I may take one a week just for maintenance purposes. The grapefruit seed extract is supposed to kill off the yeast build up in our colon or bad bacteria in our colon. I've been taking a probiotic capsule every day now. I have not tried tyramines yet just because I'm so scared of another migraine. But... I have not had a migraine for quite sometime. I think once I can start eating all foods again my constipation should ease up. I really believe there is something to IBS being yeast or bad bacteria in our bodies that we just need to get rid of.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RightFXI was diagnosed with IBS by several drs. from 1985 on. I would cramp every day feeling as if I had to go. I would barely go at all but the cramping would ease up after going just a tiny bit. I would eat a meal, cramp, bloat, moan, go a little. I'm female and period and ovulation time was always worse. If I wanted to go out of my house I was better off not eating until I came back home. I am familiar with every public bathroom in my large city!I now eat 3 meals a day plus snacks in between with absolutely NO pain, no cramping, no d. I can eat big meals and not feel bloated, not feel like I have to go to the bathroom. Instead of going 5 to 10 times a day, I go one time in the morning and that's it!I am enjoying life for the first time in 20 years!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
hi Took 20 Years,Only 20 yrs., you just can't rush these things, LOL. What brand grapefruit seed extract capsules do you use? How much $ do they cost?What strength capsule do you use (milligrams) and how many capules per day do you take to start with? How many per week do you use to start? Was the time to cure 5 weeks then? Where do you buy them?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stud PileI'm lucky to have a store called "Go Nutrition" in my town. I bought a bottle of NutriBiotic High Potency Vegetarian Capsules. GSE Grapefruit Seed Extract 125 mg. They are around $13.00 for a bottle of 90. I started out taking 3 a day, 1 with each meal (the bottle states with or without meals. I cut back to 2 a day after the 2nd week. I cut them out completely after I started becoming constipated - the first time in 20 years!! Grapefruit/grapefruit extract can not be taken with many medications. I'm not on any prescriptions but I take a Clariten each day. I did a search and found that most antihistamines can't be taken with grapefruit but Clariten is fine because it is a non-drowsy antihistamine. It's been 5 weeks and I can say I REALLY do think I'm cured. I've tried so many things in the last 20 years. I've taken caltrate and metamucil together with meals and that helped some. I still take them because I became lactose intolerable. I'm hoping I can get back to dairy products in the future. I became sensitized to MSG, Aspartame, nitrites and nitrates, sulfites and 6 months ago tyramines. From the medical studies I found, those should be cured soon. they say once the yeast or bad bacteria is gone the digestive system should start working the way it is supposed to. Than the nutrients will stay in my system and do what they need to do and not go into my blood stream anymore hense "leaky gut" leaking out of the colon. I also began taking a Multidophilus vegetarian capsule at the same time I started the grapefruit extract. Those are by Solaray. I get those from the same store. Once the yeast or bacteria is killed off the probiotic strains should build up in my colon. Those are around $20., I think. They come in many different size bottles. I take one with breakfast every day. I'll take a grapefruit capsule every once in awhile. The gse can be stored anywhere but the probiotics are kept in the fridge.I really feel so GOOD!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Took20Years,Thankyou for explaining your discovery cure to me of using GSE. I'm sure it will prove to be invaluable to alot of the IBS guys on here too. Some have wondered why IBS symptoms are observed to disappear in response to anti-biotics. The results you describe using GSE appear consistent with these observations so I would agree with you that GSE works like an anti-biotic to kill off yeast and bad bacteria. As a parallel it was only recently that ulcers were thought to be caused by stress and were treated by surgery.Ulcers on now known to be caused by a certain bacteria and are treated with antibiotics. So I believe you have discovered another cure that the pharmacutical industry can't exploit and would just prefer to keep a secret.

·
Registered
557 Posts
hi, i was wondering, what is a Multidophilus vegetarian capsule supposed to do exactly? you said you cot C for the first time taking the GSE i have alternate C and D does this mean i shouldnt take GSE because it would make the C side of it worse? i like the sound of it getting rid of the yeast in the colon, sounds like the right route to take. i take flaxseed oil tablets, just one capsules everynow and again because they totally have a big effect on me i know if i took anymore that i would have tummy ache, at the moment (i had one last night) its just a bit achey giving me bowel movements now and again but its quite good to take now and again to break up the cycle of C. do you think i would still be able to have the odd flaxseed tablet now and again if i started on the GSE?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sophie22I'll type what the label says - I'm sure it'll make more sense:"The Multidophilus 12 formula was designed to include 12 of the most important strains of beneficial bacteria. Probiotics are intended to provide nutritive support for the normal absorption of nutrients in the digestive tract. Each serving provides over 20 billion friendly micro-organisms. To maximize survival of the microorganisms, each vegetarian capsule is enteric coated to help allow for passage through harsh stomach acids and into the small intestine." "Probiotic blend: B. lactis, B. bifidum, B. infantis, B. longum, L. acidophilus, L. brevis, L. bulgaricus, L. paracasel, L. planatarum, L. rhamnosus, L. salivarius and Strptococcus themophilus." It all made so much sense to me when I found the medical studies about an overabundance of yeast and/or bad bacteria in our intestines. Antibiotics in many people can quickly kill off all the good bacteria in our intestines needed for proper digestion. When the good is killed off the bad takes over. Many people get a build up of yeast and bad bacteria after antibiotics - I think this had alot to do with my problem. GSE does it's thing by killing off all the bad baceria and yeast. Once it's gone the probiotics can than take over by replacing the bad with the good. I really think the reason I became so constipated was because of the length of time I've had this problem. 20 years is big part of my 49 year life. I have been miserable for much of my life! It's almost as if my intestines became a bit paralized and didn't know how to work properly anymore. They are relearning how to do their job in a way. I am still eating lots of navy and northern beans. I don't know much about flaxseed oil. When I check out medical studies I have to sort through any information on anything that causes bleeding. I have a clotting disorder and have to be very carefull with anything that might make my insides bleed or that thins my blood and makes me even more prone to bleeding of cuts, etc. I just Googled flaxseed / bleeding and pages and am amazed at all the articles of flaxseed causes bleeding. That's why I pass on anything that's associated with bleeding.How long have you had IBS? I really think the shorter the length of time someones had it may be a big factor in determining how long it takes the intestines to adjust to working properly. My entire digestive system seems better and better every day.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That's interesting about the GSE. I've been taking it in liquid form (Triguard Plus) but, unfortunately, did not get the dramatic results you did. Maybe I should try it in cps form. I know that grapefruit should be avoided with different types of medication, but I wonder if you have a link to a site which has info on which ones to watch out for. Or maybe the GSE can be taken several hours apart from the medication.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
This website contains a general view of what shouldn't be taken with it: http://www.wholehealthmd.com/print/view/1,...,SU_985,00.html Just scroll to the bottom
Thinking about trying this one myself to be honest. A few websites claim it's great for traveller's diarreah so it stands to reason that it may just help an IBSD such as myself

·
Registered
557 Posts
took20yearsthanks for the info. ive had it since i was 11 and im now 20 well 21 soon, so id say 9/10 years thats ive had what could be considered IBS.I didnt know about flaxseed causing bleeding though, thats concerning!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
This may not help because of bacteria and IBS.It may help because of its anti histimine effects and also working on "prostaglandins, may benefit from the extract's ability to block the release of this pain- and inflammation-causing chemical. "Both of which are involved in IBS, especially those that developed IBS after an infection.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Stud Pileby the way not all uclers are caused by bacteria.Stress is still a factor in developing ulcers.Stress and HP can still cause ulcers.Medications can also cause ulcers as well.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hey guys,Here's a study backing up Eric's first point...GSE may not just be getting the bacteria, but also helping the subclinical inflammation that may be involved. Which is good!, because antibiotics only get the bacteria & the effects don't seem to last for IBSr's..."Gastroprotective effects of flavonoids in plant extracts."(incl'g GSE)PubMed Mar 2005And if anyone's interested, this study is interesting re: GSE & bacteria..."The effectiveness of processed grapefruit-seed extract as an antibacterial agent"Pub Med 2002********************************I'm taking GSE drops that I put into my own empty capsules...8 drops after the 3 major meals...abt 2 weeks now...the effects are fantastic. But it's still too soon to know if it's for real. I go less, things are firmer, & I can even eat D-free at a chinese restaurant that used to always, always cause me to react. I got carried away though & tried something I haven't eaten in 5 years...ham...a ham sandwich...heaven...but I paid for it, not too bad, it was worth it!Too soon I guess. It's my goal though to eat one again w/o reaction. Will give the GSE a little more time.*******************************

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
as an anti bacterial why would it only kill bad bugs?

·
Registered
116 Posts
eric,I also forgot to list as a cause of ulcers:Drinking concentrated nitric acid causes ulcers.Shoooting yourself in the stomach with an AK47 on automatic causes ulcers.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Eric,Did I miss something? I didn't read anywhere here that GSE only kills the bad bugs. Who said that? I'm fairly ctn it gets them all...That's probably why 20Yrs takes probiotics...I also take probiotics on an empty stomch 3 hours away from taking the GSE, just like I would w/ antibiotics....now that I know better...Tal

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
So then maybe its the probiotics that help and not the GSE? Or maybe they are both helping different issues.I wonder if took20 has allergies?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Speaking only for myself, I've been taking probiotics forEVER, since getting IBS-D, and while I feel they helped get me down to going only 3-5 xs/day from 10+/day, I just couldn't get any better than that...The only thing I've changed in the past 2 weeks is taking the GSE w/ meals...and it's definitely making things better. I would never say that here, something so imp, if it weren't true...So, THANX Took20Years!!! I'm also hoping it will just keep improving...Talissa

1 - 20 of 72 Posts