Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor suggested that I could try grapefruit seed extract to help alleviate some of my IBS symptoms, and so I started doing a little research. I've read in a couple of places that IBS symptoms "might" be alleviated by grapefruit seed extract, but I can't find any sources that can suggest why it might be helpful. I can't find anyone with IBS posting on the internet whether or not grapefruit seed extract has helped them or worsened their symptoms, either. Basically, I can't find out much at all about grapefruit seed extract. Has anyone had any luck, success or problems using grapefruit seed extract?

Thanks!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Reportedly, it can help with bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), a very common cause of "IBS". I have not tried it myself, mainly bacause of the risk of contaminants in the seed extract. Google search to see what I mean. The menthod by which they "extract" the properties from the grapefruit can cause risidual contamination in the product itself...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both... I kind of wish I hadn't spent $25 for a bottle of the stuff, only to have my doctor backtrack and say I should hold off on using it. I might give it another go, just to use some of it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

Just seen your post, I have been taking GSE for nearly a year now and I am happy to report along with my fat free diet I can report a huge improvement with my IBS problem.

We all know what works for one may not work for another but I would say give it a go, I noticed an improvement after about 3 weeks of taking GSE.

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
Before I knew I have SIBO I once took GSE and got the worst reaction ever. My bloodpressure dropped, I threw up, almost fainted, got pain and diarrhea. Then I thought I was allergic or something but after finding out about SIBO I realized that it was a herxheimer reaction from bacteria dying. There's some controversy around GSE so I'd recommend extra virgin coconut oil, it gives the same effect but is more gentle to the body.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I react to coconut milk (it gives me diarrhea) so I'm hesitant to try coconut oil. I didn't have a reaction one way or another when I tried grapefruit seed extract for a day or two... It didn't really seem to help, but I was already having diarrhea so I don't know if it caused more of a problem, either. Fennel extract has been very helpful for me -- I put it in water, and I put it in tea. I also drink Fennel tea. So fennel seems to be the way for me to go right now, but I might start adding some grapefruit seed extract to my regimen now that my diarrhea has calmed down and see what happens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is well-known that grapefruit seed extract helps with digestive issues...so it wouldn't surprise me that grapefruit itself, offers a similar benefit. Personally, I can't tolerate grapefruit, but I have been experimenting with GSE for my IBS symptoms. I haven't noticed a huge difference yet, but I've only been taking it for a few days, so I probably need to give it more time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is well-known that grapefruit seed extract helps with digestive issues...so it wouldn't surprise me that grapefruit itself, offers a similar benefit. Personally, I can't tolerate grapefruit, but I have been experimenting with GSE for my IBS symptoms. I haven't noticed a huge difference yet, but I've only been taking it for a few days, so I probably need to give it more time.
please give me a update when any results happen ya, also there is a difference between GRAPE and GRAPEFRUIT extract ya? i read they are both good for ibs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.