Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great first visit with my GI. Nervous though I was with the support of ya'll we had a good meeting.He confirmed that the medications that I was on are good medications and he is pleased to see that I have done my homework on this condition. (IBS). He said I have all the classic symptoms of IBS except for the bleeding. That is not a symptom and he was pleased that I finally took action and saw him about it.He is going to do a colonoscopy on the 7th of July and explained in detail how he would knock me out and I'd swear they didn't touch me, which was A-Okay with me. He said the prep is the hardest part but with what I describe concerning my attacks they will be a walk in the park for me. He's humorous, serious and smart.He mentioned that he probably would not find anything but an inflamed internal hemmorhoid. He saw no need to do an exam today as I would be examined soon enough with the colonoscopy.He has told me that I do need to be on a fiber therapy such as Metamucil or Citracel and believe it or not he has IBS! So he "feels my pain". He told me how he takes the Metamucil and said now it is old hat to him - just part of his daily routine. He said the colonoscopy could actually help with this condition because studies (he didn't cite who, what, when, where) have shown that people who have diagnostic tests that have ruled out so many scary things actually begin to feel better because there is a lessened height of anxiety. I'm so excited about Metamucil and the colonoscopy! I really think I can make it through that. I told him about my high humiliation concerns and he said they have seen it all and nothing will happen anyway. :)Thank ya'll for your support and encouragement. You guys are great!Laurie

· Registered
380 Posts
Great to read that it all went well. Your doc sounds like he is very willing to work with you about all of your concerns.The colonoscopy will go well too, I believe, mainly because of both of your positive attitudes.See, all that worry for nothing!LaurieJ

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Some fiber info for you which if you start start slow and gradually work the dose up. http://www.parkviewpub.com/fiber.html It may take a bit to work so give it lots of time, it can be two months even and it may cause some gas and bloating until your body adjusts to it.One of the best on the market is Konsyl also so you know. http://www.konsyl.com/ibshealth.htm Glad it went well sounds like he is a good doctor and since he has IBS, even better, well not for him but for you,. LOL"He said the colonoscopy could actually help with this condition because studies he didn't cite who, what, when, where have shown that people who have diagnostic tests that have ruled out so many scary things actually begin to feel better because there is a lessened height of anxiety."There is a lot of info on this, but it reduces worry you have something else, like cancer say, and that in turn keeps the worry from going straight to your gut that can trigger symptoms.Very glad again to hear it went well.

· Registered
39 Posts
I'm new but I am still going to throw something out there. I got this suggestion from another person on the boards and so far, it's helped. I had a hard time with the Metamucil. Even taking half a dose would ruin my night. (I usually took it when I got home from work). Per the suggestion, I changed to Citrucel (sp) today actually. I would get bloated after the Metamucil in about 30 minutes. I took this over 6 hours ago and haven't had the bloating. Don't know who takes what or how, but the link listed was also good for me. Good luck!

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Cindy, for thinking about me and thank ya'll for your kind words.One more question:When is the best time of the day to take fiber? I'm afraid if I take it before work I'll get all gassy or something. I know I need to drink lots of water (which is fine with me - I used to anyway) so I'm thinking evening wouldn't be the best time of the day either.Thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.