Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't say I didn't warn you...Usually I have normal looking stools, my main IBS symptoms are bloating, gas, and discomfort. However, today I noticed something very odd - if I didn't know better, I'd swear I swallowed several multi-inch long pieces of twine. There was something, wrapped in and around the stool, that looked for all the world like white string. Never seen anything like it before. Seems too formed and cohesive to be mucus. Any thoughts on what it might be? Parasites? Even though I've never had D once in my life? Kind of freaking me out.

· Registered
98 Posts
Wow...I have no idea on why your stools would have looked like that, but I thought I would respond to let you know that someone read your post - and to bring it back up to the top where people will see it! Very strange indeed
Polly

· Registered
111 Posts
You could have some sort of worm. They have been known to cause the sort of symptoms you described. Could be Ascaris, from what I remember from college the male dies after mating and is ejected with the faeces.Might be worth taking a prophylatic anti parasitic drug anyway. You can get them over the counter at any chemist or at on online pharmacy. Make sure you get a broad spectrum one i.e. not just one for thread worms. The thoughts of it is all very disturbing but IMO better to be safe!

· Registered
295 Posts
Hello,It sounds like roundworm to me. You can do a little research if you like but roundworms can cause abdominal pain and they live in the intestines. Sometimes people have no symptoms until they actually see the worm, which can come out in the stool. And just because you have seen one come out does not mean they are gone. You can have more than one and sometime only portions of the worm are passed. I know that was a gross answer but I guess that is all you can get with a gross question.Talk to a doctor. Carly

· Registered
428 Posts
Round worm is active and is visible to the eye for movement. Tape worm segments can also wrap around the stool without visible movement to the eye. But I have also seen other non-soluble fibers that can appear to wrap around stool and look the same way. I would suggest a doc visit to rule out all of the above threads relating to parasites. (just to be sure) :love: Belinda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.