Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been speaking to my GP and she has suggested really upping my water intake to make sure I get at least 2L per day. I also take a daily non-gas causing fibre supplement (normafibe) morning and night. I now (finally) can have regular BMs every morning of a good consistency, but i'm finding that my colon grumbles incessantly through the day, until in the afternoon I have to pass a small BM again. Can anyone suggest if maybe I should limit my fibre to try and stop the second BM and help with the rumbling? (or any other suggestions to tackle this)?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The colon is supposed to make noises all the time, so I don't know how to completely silence it (other than an obstruction that would make it go totally silent but that is usually a medical emergency so not recommended
).You might play with fiber levels, but often with IBS the bowel is a bit over active or active at the wrong times for reasons that have nothing to do with diet or supplements.Have you tried some peppermint (tea or capsules) during the time you think it makes too much noise? Sometimes that relaxes the muscles a bit and may damp the noise a bit, or make you feel more comfortable even if it doesn't get rid of the second BM.People can have loud noises with one BM a day, or may have several BM's a day without enough noise they can hear it. Even if the colon always makes noise doesn't mean you always hear it. Just like you don't always hear your heartbeat but it makes noise 24/7.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts