Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from IBS-D. Every day. So I take an antidepressant (a tricyclic) plus imodium daily. Recently I've been having trouble sleeping. As soon as I lie down to go to sleep my bowels go into overdrive, they rumble, gurgle, and sometimes feel quite not painful, but pretty uncomfortable. Sometimes I have to get up again and have a BM to relieve things a bit! Sometimes, eventually, I will fall asleep.Does anyone else suffer from this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. Yes, I have had that happen to me from time to time. It can get so bad for me, that I spend all night for hours in the rest room trying to pass BMs waiting for my stomach & guts to calm down. I never get sleep , I'm always stuck in the bathroom because if I get off the toilet I feel sicker & guts are freaking out on me when I lay down. I don't know another way to help the guts calm down when trying to sleep, but sitting on the toilet does help to releave my guts just pooping all the stuff out of me feeling better. That works for me, and maybe for you to. Well being so tired being on the toilet for 5-6 hoours can make me dead tired, just passing out can be good so I don't feel my guts & just prey by morning I'm ok again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi :) yer i get them, its a very uncomfortable feeling. They dont really affect me but their quiet loud and sometimes they feel like they shake my entire insides. and sometimes they go for up to a minute but i dont get pain, they just feel slightly uncomfortable. the weirdest thing i've ever had was popping sensations, they were a bit painful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Yes I used to get these idiotic irritating colon spasms at bed time which are gassy at times and loud... I noticed that diary(ice cream) increased it instead of soothing it... It happend when I ate a lot of starch or glutamate.. I decided to avoid them... I avoid eating out or eating store bought food if I can help... That has helped me a bit and also I have started using peppermint oil tablets to stops spasms and gas and I should say what helped me a lot was avoiding diary and if I use it I take lactase supplements or use only lactose free milk(I found out I had lactose intolerance too)... I use omega 3 supplements at times and I should say they have improved my IBS condition considerably! I stopped having D-attcaks long long ago... When I am stressed or depressed again thats a trigger to me... I force myself to read spiritual philosophy and meditate it calms me quickly or go to the church if I can.. I quit school 2 years ago bcoz my condition bothered me a lot but anyway I am back to school now and I feel extremely confident and well now... I met this yoga guru in India who told me to practice yoga under an instructor for body and mind balance.. I do it whenever I can through my busy schedule(atleast 1hr every other day)(I am a PhD student who spends all her time in the lab!)... I do brisk walking 1 hr daily...All this has helped me find my balance and now I am even able to have something that I once thought was a trigger without much effect once in a while in moderation ofcourse... GENERAL ADVICEWhy yoga is good for you -- It has breathing exercises that help digestion but must only be practised three to four hours after a meal..Why peppermint oil is good -- It calms the spasms and helps avoid diarrhea and gas... It helps me totally during my periods when my spasms are bad and get gassy... Also potassium helps -- high content of it is found in bananas Why you must exercise: It helps burn your fat ofcourse but also helps aid digestion better and therefore prevents discomfort!Why you must de-stress: If its one of your triggers you know it can drive your digestion system insane!AND IMPT. ABOVE ALL... AVOID TRIGGERS BUT IF MUST HAVE THEM (LIKE ANTIBIOTICS) USE SUPPLEMENTS TO AID DIGESTION... I hope it works for you because it did for me!IBS sufferer of 10 years finally found solace 3 years ago

·
Registered
152 Posts
I do get the rumbling when my stomach is unhappy usually in the morning after a BM. My Naturopath was doing acupunture on me and he heard my stomach rumbling. I had eaten a berry pie the evening before (bad move!). He said it means your digestive system is in overdrive and trying to rid itself of a certain food. Can you keep track of when the rumbling happens... maybe there is a food that you are sensitive to??Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.