Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to cure a gurgling stomach? everytime i lay down my stomach starts gurgling no matter how long ago i've eaten . it doesn't hurt but its just embarassing and loud. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
55 Posts
This topic has been coming up a lot lately, after what appeared to be a lull in discussion. If you look around for old posts - like "rumblings and grumblings", you'll find some information that may be useful.good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello everyone & Happy New Year!I havent posted in some time & well Im back to the board.I see that I am not the only one suffering from these rumbles in the night....Actually I notice that I get these grumbles upon awakening in the morning as soon as my eyes open to stimulus my internal stereo starts playing.It chrns and squeals for hours and I get these episodes daily for the past year .When I eat I can hear my food (little that I eat now)traveling and making this tremendous effort to pass my nutrients along the line.I went to the doc & he put me on Levbid .A very small dose .I found this helps w/ the bloating & acid reflux .Is it the drug or is it my bird seed diet? Go figga?It has helped a little but I notice that even taking the pills on the onset the rumbles still happen .This has been been real bothersome for me .My battle continues any suggestions ?I have tried (maybe this will help you )Manuka Honey Accidophilus (made me barf)HtP3pendillum pentilatum (boiron)BelladonnaLibraxLotronexBentylStrict no carb dietFiber Im at my wits end !The above dont work .Can any one give me answer?My professionals are clueless!Thanks for all your suggestions they are greatly appreciated.Spunky

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
SPUNKYA quick note on what may explain some of these experiencs.It is a given that in IBS the "sensitivity and reactivity" of the entire Gi tract are exaggerated, so normal functions are exagerrated and perception of them is exagerrated. So besides the normal digestive phases at times being exagerated, as is our perception of them, the activities between-meals are exaggerated as well. So you are likely one of those people experiencing an exaggerated perception of a normal GI activity and/or it may be increased in action and intensity as well as a result of one of the side-eeffects of the physiologic events which occur in IBS (one of which appears to result in increased levels of a hormone called motilin, which regulates in part the following process).The "migrating motor complex": is a 4-phase pattern of "electromechanical activity" of the GI smooth muscle between meals. It is cyclic, averaging about every 90 minutes in response to spurts of hormone release into the plasma.The resting phase, smooth muscle "quietness" normally lasts 45 minutes to an hour.Then a period of about 30 minutes of beginning and slowly increasing peristaltic activity of the upper and midlle Gi tract begins.The there is a phase of 5-15 minutes in which strong and rapid but rhythmic smooth muscle contractions occur, and the pylorus remaisn open so residual materials in the stoach can be flushed out into the small intestine.Then there is a short 5 monute phase when everything slows down quickly and then returns to stage 1...quiet.This process can be very noisy and the only way to squelch it is by altering the digestive phase you are in by eating some food...which will bring on normally the "digestive phase" muscle and organ patterns.So this is a normal thing that is among the things we can be overly sensitive to,and which also may be exagerrate like other gut functionshave a GFDMNL_____________ www.leapallergy.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get gurgles all the time also.Its very scary & unsettling .I get anxious because I dont know what is going on..Is this a part of the IBS package?I REMEMBER BEFORE WHEN I DIDNT HAVE TUMMY TROUBLES THE ONLY TIME MY BELLY WOULD GURGGLE WAS WHEN i WAS REAL HUNGRY.There must be a way to stop this squealing & churning!Help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts