Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I came across this really interesting article the other day, and would like to hear opinions from the experts on here about it!Excerpt: "...the researchers detected bacterial strains of Prevotella, Xylanibacter, and Treponema only in the children from Burkina Faso. These bacteria are excellent at breaking down fibrous foods and producing short-chain fatty acids that provide added energy. Studies have also shown that those same fatty acids help protect the intestines from inflammation, which could explain why inflammatory bowel disease is almost unheard of in African communities that eat high-fiber diets..."http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/08/western-diet-tied-to-intestinal-.html?rss=1What's the story with these 3 types of bacteria? And theoretically, what would happen if we were to feed ourselves these bacteria in order to aid digestion? Sort of the same principal as taking Align or other probiotics? Please discuss.Jordan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After posting this, I found that a couple of these bacteria are responsible for some horrible diseases/illnesses. So I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to ingest them!
However it does make me wonder why these people have the bacteria & whether they are immune to those maladies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.