Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS-D for around 15 yrs and I was told by my doctor the other day that I test positive for a bacteria called H pylori. The Doc stated that this could be causing my IBS-D so I am being treated for this. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard if H pylori has the same symptoms has IBS. I just don't want to build myself up by thinking this will cure it when it won't. I have searched the web and could not find anything supporting what the Doc has told me but on the other hand I'm not a doctor. Would love to hear anyone's comments on this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have no idea.. but I would love to know... I thought that H Pylori was in the stomach and caused more gastritis symptoms than anything else... but it would be great to hear from others on this topic!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I can't find anything that suggests H.p. causes IBS-D.But with the newer SIBO information out maybe he thinks it does as antibiotics may be working on things other than the H.p. in the stomach.I can't find diarrhea as a symptom of H.p infection at least not readily.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You've run though all the antidiarrheals, antidepressants, and Lotronox (if female) and all the antispasmodics and none of them do anything.Calcium doesn't work?? Questran have you tried that??There are lots of treatments. I do not know that it has to be this or nothing
K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do take Immodium everyday and that helps but still in stressful situations it doesn't. My docter had me try Dicyclomine but that doesn't work. I have not tried Calcium yet. I guess I will see how this H pylori medication works first and if it doesn't then I will try calcium. Stress is usually the one thing that triggers my D. Being a firefighter it is hard to get rid of my stress so I can just rule that trying to relieve my stress because it's just not going to happen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
whitted, I have heard that some bacteria can live in your colon for a long time. My uncle had the same problem I had D.. The doctors told him that if he took an antibiotic it would help instead it seemed to really clear the problem up for him. I have no idea what the medication was called but if you take a prescription for H. pylori let us know what kind it is.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One reason I am hopeful about this H pylori medication curing my IBS-D was how my IBS-D started I was in 7th grade at school one day and I had a stomach ache and ever since then I've had it. I just don't know how all of the sudden I had it just like that. That's why I think it's because I had this bacteria in my stomach. I just got tested positive for H pylori back in 2000 but my doctor did not treat it why I don't know. I tell you those military docters. So when I got tested recently they said I still had the bacteria. Who knows how long I have had this. I never went to the doctor when I was younger because my parents said it was all in my head trust me I remind them that it's not in my head every wk. So who knows I could have had this bacteria since I was in 7th grade.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My daughter was experiencing severe pain in her tummy and tested positive for H. Pylori. H. Pylori is a bacteria that commonly causes a peptic or gastric ulcer. The medications should kill the bacteria, and an ulcer will heal on it's own. Whgile my daughter did not experience any D with the H. Pylori, she did experience heartburn, cramping in her lower abdominal area and a general feeling of malaise. Since finishing the course of medications along with OTC Prilosec, she has been fine. No pain or anything. I hope you start feeling better.Take care!Valerie

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Whitted. Amoxicillian caused my ibs. Take goats milk yogurt. Good source of friendly bacteria. Well tolerated, no other dairy. Take it daily while on meds, but at different time from meds. Meds will kill off ? and the yogurt taking a few hours later will replenish normal flora. Eat half bowl and wash down with spring water, not tap. Try not to eat any other food between meds and goat yogurt. H-pylori has been found in hot water taps. I don't think commercial probiotics are effective at all. You have a good chance to be free of this. Good luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I am not all too familiar with the bacteria in the intestines but it seems like the normal flora bacteria could be increased so that normal functions of the colon could take place. i need to do more research on this. I believe my IBS was a comibination of water and the antibiotic i took which was Clindamycin. This type of anti-biotic can cause diarrehea. Did not know it at the time. It is also know to cause Colitis...

·
Registered
1 Posts
To my surprise I discovered I had IBS too along with H pylori for over 25 ten years. I noticed when I took augmentin for sinus infections that both seem to disappear for a while. In between I took Tagament for the unknown H pylori. About three years ago it was really acting up and my doctor had me take the new antibiotic regiment for H pylori. To my surprise the symptoms disappeared and I began to have normal daily bowel movements around the same time. What a relief this has been. I’m now 99% certain that my suspicions about H pylori causing my IBS are confirmed. Taking the new antibiotic regiment should have minimal risks compared to continued IBS attacks and the risk for infection. Hopefully it will work for others and they will gain the relief that I have not worrying when IBS will strike and ruin another activity… three years with out an attack is significant to me! This is my opinion and anyone wanting to try the new antibiotic regiment for H pylori and IBS must consult with their doctor to see if they are a candidate and have the medication taken under their supervision… very strong antibiotic cocktail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, everyone. I'm a brand new member desparately seeking help and advice. I have been suffering from D and abdominal pain for at least a couple of months now. I was hospitalized for five days in September and diagnosed with IBS and chronic gastritis. While in the hospital, I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy. None of the blood or other tests were positive for h. pylori but when the results of my stomach biopsy came back, my GI said I had an "overgrowth of h. pylori" and put me on a two-week regimen of antibiotics (2000 mg. a day). I finished the antibiotics about two weeks ago but my symptoms have not disappeared and none of my doctors seem to have any answers for me. The GI did tell me that the h. pylori was not the cause of my gastritis or IBS. The only thing that helps now is Lomotil and sometimes even that doesn't. My life has become a constant quest to stay close to a bathroom (luckily I'm very close to the one in my office). I haven't been retested to see if the h. pylori is gone and am wondering if I should insist on that (although the h. pylori doesn't seem to affect my other symptoms). I just thankful I've found this site. I've truly felt alone in this battle. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi bayakoa. You've found the right site, your not alone, we're all suffering. There's alot of good people here with lots of information to help you through these difficult times. Check out the boards and see how others manage. Good luck and take care.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.