Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has recently been discovered that I have a bacteria called H-Pylori.Some people say that my symptoms (bloating, pain under the rib cage, constipation, gas, irregular bowel movements) may be caused by this bacteria.Other people say that H-Pylori does not have anything to do with IBS symptoms (it only causes ulcers).I am supposed to start a new antibiotic tretment to eliminate H-Pylori, but am afraid to start using antibiotics, for they may worsen IBS symptoms.Any thoughts regarding the conncetion IBS - H-Pylori?Thanks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I suffered for over a year with H. Pylori before it was finally diagnosed. I had all the same symptoms you do as well as constant burping and trapped gas. I took the treatment and did very well with it. I did not get D. I felt much better during and after treatment than I did the whole previous year.The H. Pylori was particularly virulent in my GI system and caused gastritis as well as a duodenal ulcer. I am treated now and 99% better, but do occasionally get painful spasms which I take Librax for (but this only happens every few months). IBS can be triggered by infection, such as by H. Pylori. BTW, H. Pylori has been linked to stomach cancer, too. I'd get it treated if I were you.Good luck,Stacey

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have also been treated for H Pylori. It didn't help the IBS but it did help with the constant (and very painful) gastritis I always had. The antibiotics did trigger some D in me but it wasn't horrible. In fact, the second week of treatment was the best I had felt in years at the time. I was hoping it would eliminate the IBS as a whole but it didn't. IBS isn't caused by H.Pylori but if you have both it can exacerbate the symptoms of IBS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts