Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am concerned that H. Pylori might be the cause of my IBS symptoms. My wife was diagnosed with it about six weeks ago and was treated. She is doing great now that the H. Pylori is gone. No one knows how she got the bacteria. I am wondering if she might have got it from me because I had symptoms long before she did.Soft stool that smells bad,Bloating and burping no matter what I eat or how much,Reflux that is unexplained,and other symptoms have been chronic with me.I had a blood test for H. Pylori and it was negative but now I have heard the blood test may have been inconclusive.Got a referral to a gastrologist but it will be a about a month before I see this doc.What do you think. Could H. Pilori be the cause of my problems or am I in for another disappointment.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, you could very well have H. Pylori, too. I had it and passed it to my husband through saliva. My symptoms were upper GI pain, burning, burping, change in stools, and bloating. I bounced around from GI to GI because my blood test came back with a false negative. I finally got a GI who did an endoscopy and biopsied my stomach and sure enough, I had H. Pylori. I'd say if your wife had it, the chances of you having it are pretty good. Stacey

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, you could very well have H. Pylori, too. I had it and passed it to my husband through saliva. My symptoms were upper GI pain, burning, burping, change in stools, and bloating. I bounced around from GI to GI because my blood test came back with a false negative. I finally got a GI who did an endoscopy and biopsied my stomach and sure enough, I had H. Pylori. I'd say if your wife had it, the chances of you having it are pretty good. Stacey

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
My story, and symptoms, is somewhat similar to Stace's. Am glad I finally got the endoscopy and biopsy. Am doing better, overall, GI wise since my treatment. I went undiagnosed (misdiagnosed) for so long that I believe the H. P. did a bit of a number on me (lots of gastric polyps; tired immune system?; whackier-than-before nervous system?). I still have a propensity for mild IBS, but I believe H. P. was responsible for many of my problems. My GI doc, whom I like, says there's no correlation between H. P. and bowel changes - but I don't necessarily agree with him. When I told him recently that I seem to be doing better, he said, "hmmm... well, who knows..."Good luck. Ask if you can have further testing.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
My story, and symptoms, is somewhat similar to Stace's. Am glad I finally got the endoscopy and biopsy. Am doing better, overall, GI wise since my treatment. I went undiagnosed (misdiagnosed) for so long that I believe the H. P. did a bit of a number on me (lots of gastric polyps; tired immune system?; whackier-than-before nervous system?). I still have a propensity for mild IBS, but I believe H. P. was responsible for many of my problems. My GI doc, whom I like, says there's no correlation between H. P. and bowel changes - but I don't necessarily agree with him. When I told him recently that I seem to be doing better, he said, "hmmm... well, who knows..."Good luck. Ask if you can have further testing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I always wondered if H. Pylori was contagious. My paternal grandmother had it a long time ago, then I got it, and not long after, my dad was treated. If it is a bacterial infection, then why wouldn't it be contagious?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I always wondered if H. Pylori was contagious. My paternal grandmother had it a long time ago, then I got it, and not long after, my dad was treated. If it is a bacterial infection, then why wouldn't it be contagious?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have recently discovered that the blood tests for Helicobacter pylori and the stool antigen tests for Entamoeba histolytica are often 'false negatives'! The saliva tests seem to be far more accurate for both. If borderline there are some additional follow-up tests that can be done before an endoscopy even need enter the picture. Even endoscopies can miss pylori apparently. It depends on the current status during the period of the exam; (recent gastric acid levels; meds; diet?; etc.). The saliva tests are available from Diagnos-Techs,Inc. I think they have a toll free number but only have this one at present: (425) 251-0596Good Luck! Best, Drew

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have recently discovered that the blood tests for Helicobacter pylori and the stool antigen tests for Entamoeba histolytica are often 'false negatives'! The saliva tests seem to be far more accurate for both. If borderline there are some additional follow-up tests that can be done before an endoscopy even need enter the picture. Even endoscopies can miss pylori apparently. It depends on the current status during the period of the exam; (recent gastric acid levels; meds; diet?; etc.). The saliva tests are available from Diagnos-Techs,Inc. I think they have a toll free number but only have this one at present: (425) 251-0596Good Luck! Best, Drew

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a microbiologist I think you have a pretty good shot at having H. pylori causing your upper GI problems. As for your IBS what kind of symptoms do you have. If you are severe like me then I don't think so. But if you have mild IBS then it could have some residual effects. Just one note. Did you go to a GI doctor before and told you have IBS or just the symptoms sounded familiar?

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a microbiologist I think you have a pretty good shot at having H. pylori causing your upper GI problems. As for your IBS what kind of symptoms do you have. If you are severe like me then I don't think so. But if you have mild IBS then it could have some residual effects. Just one note. Did you go to a GI doctor before and told you have IBS or just the symptoms sounded familiar?

G

·
Hi, I'm new here.I was dx with h.pilori in nov 99 took the antibiotic in march 2000 made all the symptoms worst....had the worst cramps and "d" then in sept had food poisening,they gave 2 antibiotic and had a bad reaction from a bacterial called c.diff.had ulcers and bleeding...anyway now after my january colonoscopy they dx with IBS .it'svery frustrating and I don't know much about IBS. I think the best way to find out if you have h.pilor is by a gastroscopy and biopsy of the stomach..that's how they find mine...few yrs ago my husband had h.pilory and was treated with antibiotic too... I think it's somewhat contegiaous in living family...hope this helped and good luck[This message has been edited by jtc_2 (edited 07-06-2001).]

G

·
Hi, I'm new here.I was dx with h.pilori in nov 99 took the antibiotic in march 2000 made all the symptoms worst....had the worst cramps and "d" then in sept had food poisening,they gave 2 antibiotic and had a bad reaction from a bacterial called c.diff.had ulcers and bleeding...anyway now after my january colonoscopy they dx with IBS .it'svery frustrating and I don't know much about IBS. I think the best way to find out if you have h.pilor is by a gastroscopy and biopsy of the stomach..that's how they find mine...few yrs ago my husband had h.pilory and was treated with antibiotic too... I think it's somewhat contegiaous in living family...hope this helped and good luck[This message has been edited by jtc_2 (edited 07-06-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.