Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi all,I am now home from having my gastroscopy and colonscopy.I had sedation so was awake and can remember what happened, although some parts are hazy, which I was told may happen.The gastroscopy was worse for me, I was really gaggling and think I bought up quite a lot of fluid during the process. The doc said my gullett? or whatever the valve bit is at the top of my tummy was a little week, as there were signes or sorness on the tubes so he has given me some pills to help with this and also took a biopsy in my tummy. But he said there was nothing to see and all appeared normal.As for the colonoscopy, it was uncomfortable yes, I cant remember it all now, but I know at the time I did feel the inflation effect of the air going in, but it was not the worst pain ever, uncomfortable with a clenched fist, actually I think I had hold of a nurses hand, think I appologised as squeezed quite hard. Doc said everything was ok and appeared normal, no tumors or polups (big big releif), some biyopsys were taken to see if signs of microscopic colitis? I think that is what it was called. But he reasurred me that nothing sinister going on which is what I was really really worried about.The prep was not the most fun, but I knew I just had to get through it. Before going from my room into the theater I was very nervouse, but I had a very nice nurse who looked after me today, the doc was also very good as he know I was scared etc. They ended up having to put the needle for the capsules in my inner elbow as the vein in my hand was not playing ball, it shrank right down. When I was back in my room I was bought a sandwitch by room service which was nice, and needed. But due to the gaggling during the gastroscope I have a really score back of my throat, must have got scratched up a bit...Got a follow up in a couple of weeks for biopsy results and chance to have a propper chat. I asked does it still appear IBS, he seemed very sure it was.Tests I have had in the past are CBC, last July and last month, both normal, ultrasound, showed nothing, stool test, normal. Main symptoms are left side pain, from ribs down to hip, occasional all over tummy tenderness and gurgling feeling. 3/4 bms a day, mostly bitty/soft/mushy.I now need to take heed of these results and try not to stress and get anxiety as that has been a major issue of mine. Afterall 'all normal' is good right...Now going to have some dinner, although not quite sure how I will take to this, hopefully no rushing to the loo any time soon. Any one know how getting food back in the system can take to get 'normal' *my normal that is*?????Hope you are all ok.Ippo

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people jump right back into their normal diet. Some people feel more comfortable eating like they do when recovering from a GI infection or surgery.1. Clear liquids. So broth from a soup and jello just to get some electrolytes and sugar in to make sure everything from the clean out seems to be out. So you don't add much to what will come out, but if there is any liquid left in there it may come out when the colon gets active.2. Cloudy liquids (cream of soups without just a few soft pieces of solid in them), pudding, milk, yogurt. Assuming you tolerate milk products. If not skip this step.3. BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) or any subset of that you tolerate.4. Other fairly soft easy to digest foods so cooked veggies and fruits, well cooked lean meats. Other grains and crackers.5. Normal diet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kathleen,Thanks for that, hopefully I will get back into the swing of things easily enough.Hopefully I will have a nice restfull nights sleep tonight, as the worry of today was messing with my sleep for the last few nights. Feel quite sleepy now tbh and its only 8;30pm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am now sat back at work and my tummy is grumbling and gurgling like crazy. Had some toast for breakfast and soup for lunch.. Its going nuts, from those who have experience it how long can it take to settle and go back to normal? Not been for a BM today or anything which is odd for me, but expected.Ta,

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oddly enough I had no problems eating after the colonscopy/prep was done. I got home, slept for a couple of hours, woke up and ate an entire large pizza by myself.
The prep for the CT scan was a dfferent story altogether... had full-blown diarrhea for about 12 hours after that one.Haven't had the endoscopy done yet, but most likely in the next few months.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Faze,My eating is ok, just taking it a little easy not to 'scoff'.... Just guessing after being empty it will take a bit of time to get back into the swing of things... Going to have some chicken with rice or veg and potato tonight so that will be nice.Re the endoscopy I am sure most will find this the easier of the 2, but for some reason I really struggled with it. Mind you I was really really worried about both of them so that being the 1st of the 2 perhaps the sedative was not fully in flow at that stage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts