Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 days of on/off acute pain in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen, I finally drove myself to the ER of my local hospital. Doctors said I had a classic case of appendicitis. I told them I had a slight problem with that diagnosis...I had my appendix removed in 1984 along with my gallbladder.(which probably would have been their next diagnosis!!) After every imaginable test, everything showed up negative. My surgeon decided to do an exploratory laparoscopy because he could see that I was indeed in extreme pain and SOMETHING had to be causing it. After being in the ER for 10 hours, I underwent surgery at 7PM Saturday night. 2 hours later I was in the recovery room with the doctor telling me he found a massive amount of adhesions from my previous surgeries and one particularly large band of it was surrounding and constricting a section of my lower bowel. He removed that band and about 80% of the rest that he could reach without opening me up. He has a feeling that this could be the reason for my IBS that I've had since shortly after my surgery in 1984! I've been home now for two days and have had no pain except for the surgical discomfort. No D, no C, no gas!!! I may be getting a little ahead of myself but I'm praying that my personal battle with IBS is done! I'll let you all know in a week or so when I go back to have the staples removed and have a checkup.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hatchman,I wish you the very best and a speedy and complete recovery and hope that the Doctor is correct and it will be the end of your IBS. Sorry you had to go through surgery, but if it takes care of your problems, then thank God! Blessings, Cindy

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hatchman,I wish you the very best and a speedy and complete recovery and hope that the Doctor is correct and it will be the end of your IBS. Sorry you had to go through surgery, but if it takes care of your problems, then thank God! Blessings, Cindy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hatchman WOW!! So glad you are doing much better now. What an experience to have to go through. Best of luck on your recovery and I will keep you in my prayers.Patricia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hatchman WOW!! So glad you are doing much better now. What an experience to have to go through. Best of luck on your recovery and I will keep you in my prayers.Patricia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Hatchman, Prayers are going out to you that you have seen the end of IBS. What a blessing that would be. Take care, Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Hatchman, Prayers are going out to you that you have seen the end of IBS. What a blessing that would be. Take care, Chris

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if that's what's been causing your IBS?
I wish you a speedy recovery. Lap surgery is pretty quick in terms of recovery time.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if that's what's been causing your IBS?
I wish you a speedy recovery. Lap surgery is pretty quick in terms of recovery time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congratulations! I hope you have a full and total recovery. I have been wondering if my pain could be caused by adhesions from my gall bladder sgy that was done in '84. Would you mind asking your doc if there is any test that shows adhesions, or is it only through surgery? My colonoscopy was "normal". No apparent narrowing to suggest an adhesion.My best wishes again for a full recovery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congratulations! I hope you have a full and total recovery. I have been wondering if my pain could be caused by adhesions from my gall bladder sgy that was done in '84. Would you mind asking your doc if there is any test that shows adhesions, or is it only through surgery? My colonoscopy was "normal". No apparent narrowing to suggest an adhesion.My best wishes again for a full recovery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
redcasey,My doctor had done a colonoscopy, CT scan and every possible examination and all came up normal. The only way he could possibly have found the adhesions was through exploratory laparoscopic surgery. I was put under general anesthesia and he made the initial incision through my belly button for the exploratory probe. Once he found all the adhesions he made another 3 incisions around my stomach area about 1.5 inches in length. I stayed overnight in hospital and went home the next afternoon. It's really not that bad and if it does turn out to be the underlying cause of my IBS, I don't care if he has to go back in to get the rest of the adhesions!! Praise The Lord and pass the butter!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
redcasey,My doctor had done a colonoscopy, CT scan and every possible examination and all came up normal. The only way he could possibly have found the adhesions was through exploratory laparoscopic surgery. I was put under general anesthesia and he made the initial incision through my belly button for the exploratory probe. Once he found all the adhesions he made another 3 incisions around my stomach area about 1.5 inches in length. I stayed overnight in hospital and went home the next afternoon. It's really not that bad and if it does turn out to be the underlying cause of my IBS, I don't care if he has to go back in to get the rest of the adhesions!! Praise The Lord and pass the butter!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Did you have any barriers put in to try and prevent the adhesions from reforming? I had adhesions removed but no barriers were put in and they reformed. The barriers may or may not work depending on the case but they can help.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Did you have any barriers put in to try and prevent the adhesions from reforming? I had adhesions removed but no barriers were put in and they reformed. The barriers may or may not work depending on the case but they can help.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
So glad you finally have found some answers that may lead to "Normal" bowels!!! YAY! Hope you heal well & fast from the surgery. Let us know how you are doing.
BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
So glad you finally have found some answers that may lead to "Normal" bowels!!! YAY! Hope you heal well & fast from the surgery. Let us know how you are doing.
BQ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nicol,I'm pretty sure that no barriers were put in place or if they can be with laproscopic surgery. I have another appointment in a week and we will discuss further surgery at that time and I will certainly ask about the barriers at that time. Thanks for the info and the kind responses and I'll keep you all posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nicol,I'm pretty sure that no barriers were put in place or if they can be with laproscopic surgery. I have another appointment in a week and we will discuss further surgery at that time and I will certainly ask about the barriers at that time. Thanks for the info and the kind responses and I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hatchman - Ugh, for what you went through, but I DO hope that soon you will experience great relief! Let's hope! I, too, have had adhesions (but not from previous surgery....no one knows) - but not as bad as yours. Keep us posted....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts