Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6 weeks after having my colon removed. I was very anemic and had mega colon that was putting me in the hospital repeatedly before the surgery, but, I still feel very "post-surgery". Lots of pain and fatigue. What is the "expected" recovery from this surgery. My incision is over 12 inches long if that matters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am very depressed and frustrated at how long this is taking and how awful I still feel.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Who is your surgeon?I guess the pain should goes away now.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have you talked to your dr. about this? It's quite a major surgery so I suspect your energy levels will take a bit to return to normal but I'm thinking you shouldn't still be in alot of pain. Do you have a fever or any redness around your incision?

G

·
Hey my turn, 6 weeks is not a long time for recovery. 3 years ago I had 4 feet of small bowel removed and this past year I have felt better. First 6 months after surgery I did some daily activity and rested a lot. Then I was able to increase my activities and did not need as much rest. I was anemic and that caused the fatigue, refused the blood transfusion and helped myself to daily iron and sublingual B12 and that made a big difference. This was Okayed with my surgeon, so check with your Doc. I no longer take iron or B12. Take your time, listen to your DocChar

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have run every test possible it seems and found some minor things that could be treated with surgery, but will likely go away on their own, soooo I'll likely recover faster from that than having another surgery. I too am on iron for anemia, in fact have required several transfusions and TIPPY IV's. I'm 35 with 2 toddlers. Any suggestions to speed up this recovery. I am so frustrated with the fatigue and at witts end with the pain!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I had abdominal surgery 3 yrs ago. It was not IBS or GI related, but I have a left lateral incision about 10 inches across the left (over that part of my colon). In my expereince it took me a full year to feel "normal" again (for me). After the type of surgery you had, even though a surgeon may say you'll be fine in 6 weeks, its not at all unusual IMO for you to still feel lousy. Walking really helped me build up my strength so I'd suggest that. Since you have 2 toddlers it may be more like "running" but w/time you should feel better. In my experience surgeons have no idea of what goes on after their work is done. They assume everyone will "recover" w/in a specific amount of set time, which doesnt happen IMO. If you are concerned you could call your dr and perhaps run things by their office staff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you all for your responses. I was SO UNPREPARED for this type of recovery! I just started the iron and Protien shakes and my energy seems to be up a little each day. But, I picked up a case of waters the other day (like and idiot) and it put me back in bed for 2 days!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts