Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been reading up and watching videos from the Functional Bowel Org site and it seems like this Dr. Whorwell is quite devoted to helping people like us. I say this because I've been through about a dozen G.I doctors here in the US who in the end just give up and tell me there is nothing they can do for me. I know he does a lot of research on IBS, and has several methods of treatment (including hypnotherapy- though I've done IBS hypnotherapy and haven't had success with it). But, it seems like he has success with treating his patients.Has anyone out there been to this Functional Bowel Disorder Service located in Manchester, UK, or is a patient of Dr. Whorwell? or know anything else about it from friends/family?Thanks!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes,i am a current patient and i'm waiting for a start date for a trial of anti inflammatory medicine to be used in the treatment of IBS.There is no point coming to the UK because you have access to more stuff in the US than we do for IBS.Have you got IBS C or IBS D?The Prof and his team are brilliant and have a website www.ibs-care.co.ukIf you have IBS D,you can try loperamide,lomotil,codeine phosphate plus a host of anti spasmodic drugs,these are all available in the UK.But in the US you have got those plus Motofen,Lotronex if you are a female and there is a current drug trial for a drug called Asimadoline,only trials are currently in the US.You can also take Zofran,which is not available for IBS in the UK,only the US. And an antibiotic called Rifaximin,which is difficult to obtain in the UK but available a bit more easily in the US.Email Prof Whorwell and he might direct you to a colleague of his near you in the US.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It is yes.Sorry for the wrong address.

·
Registered
220 Posts
hi jmc09 re, "Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:46 PMYes,i am a current patient and i'm waiting for a start date for a trial of anti inflammatory medicine to be used in the treatment of IBS."have you yet started your trial of anti inflammatory medicine with dr whorwell?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I did start the trial but had to quit after a few days because i cannot go more than a day without medicine before D starts.I tried mesalamine from my GP and it does nothing for me.There is another trial on the horizon and i'm gonna give Rifaximin a try too if possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts