Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody has had luck with Clonazepam(Klonopin)? I plan to try it out for 5 days to check if it does any good.

Also , are there any side effects ?

I have not consulted with my psychiatrist before doing this because I am unable to get an appointment with him due to the lock down .

Yous inputs will be much appreciated !

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been on either Klonopin or Xanax for over 25 years. I've never had any side effects from them other than some drowsiness. Certainly helps you sleep at night. Sometimes you're groggy in the morning but once you wake up and get going its ok. I'm super sensitive to most medicines and I cant take many. But anti-anxiety pills like this I have no issue with. Now if you take it for a long period of time and try to stop...you can get some side effects for sure. I've stopped and stopped over the years too. It can be a rough withdrawal...but I keep going back on them cause I just feel better on them.

As for helping with your bowels for IBS....hasn't really done much for me honestly. But it sometimes just chills you out a bit. I find it helpful but its not a magical cure for IBS.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi , I would like to update this thread with my experience of a 10 day trial with "Clonazepam(Klonopin)". For any indians reading this post , its called "Restill" here in India and i took 0.5 mg once a day in the afternoon..

Result : Noticed an improvement . On day 8 , 9 and 10 had only one BM / day (I usually have 2 or 3 everyday) and about 40-50 % reduction in gas.However , it is worth mentioning that even though I had one BM a day , it was not well formed , still more on the diarrhea spectrum.

I stopped the drug after 10 days . On the 12th day , my IBS symptoms returned in all its fury.

Conclusion : How is it that this drug helped me to have one BM a day for 3 days in a row when nothing i had tried in the past (inspite of trying elavil, probiotics and antispansmodics) helped me with that ? I do not even remember the last time I had "one BM" a day , its probably been years .

So if this drug helped , that means there is a connection with anxiety in my case . If there is a Connection with anxiety , I am already on SSRI for the past 6 years , why did the SSRI not help with the IBS ?

Or is it the combination of the SSRI and the benzodiazepine that hit home because they both target different neurotransmitters ?

If anybody has any insight on this , please do leave your comments below .

Either way , this drug cannot be a solution because it cannot be used long term . It only helped me conclude with more proof that anxiety is the culprit here.

Food for thought : Why do probiotics help to a certain degree ? They are know to increase the GABA in the gut .

So is GABA the culprit here ? or is it a combination of many neurotransmitters/hormones that are interdependent .... the quest to find the answer ourselves(even though we are not trained professionals) continues because obviously the medical community has left us in the lurch

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi , I would like to update this thread with my experience of a 10 day trial with "Clonazepam(Klonopin)". For any indians reading this post , its called "Restill" here in India and i took 0.5 mg once a day in the afternoon..

Result : Noticed an improvement . On day 8 , 9 and 10 had only one BM / day (I usually have 2 or 3 everyday) and about 40-50 % reduction in gas.However , it is worth mentioning that even though I had one BM a day , it was not well formed , still more on the diarrhea spectrum.

I stopped the drug after 10 days . On the 12th day , my IBS symptoms returned in all its fury.

Conclusion : How is it that this drug helped me to have one BM a day for 3 days in a row when nothing i had tried in the past (inspite of trying elavil, probiotics and antispansmodics) helped me with that ? I do not even remember the last time I had "one BM" a day , its probably been years .

So if this drug helped , that means there is a connection with anxiety in my case . If there is a Connection with anxiety , I am already on SSRI for the past 6 years , why did the SSRI not help with the IBS ?

Or is it the combination of the SSRI and the benzodiazepine that hit home because they both target different neurotransmitters ?

If anybody has any insight on this , please do leave your comments below .

Either way , this drug cannot be a solution because it cannot be used long term . It only helped me conclude with more proof that anxiety is the culprit here.

Food for thought : Why do probiotics help to a certain degree ? They are know to increase the GABA in the gut .

So is GABA the culprit here ? or is it a combination of many neurotransmitters/hormones that are interdependent .... the quest to find the answer ourselves(even though we are not trained professionals) continues because obviously the medical community has left us in the lurch
Well a couple things. First klonopin can be used long term. I'm living proof of that and its an anti-anxiety drug designed for it. They only say that because of its addictive quality but I never became addicted to it. I find klonopin or xanax does help to some degree. I do feel there is an anxiety component to it all. And so it probably chilled you out and your body was adjusting to this new quieter self. Surprised you took it in the afternoon. Most take it in the morning or before bed.

As for SSRI....those are really designed for people with constipation. SSRIs are known to speed up your motility and transit times. So very few doctors who know their patients suffer from IBS-D will prescribe an SSRI. The side effect is diarrhea and looser stools. Most doctors will go old school and prescribe a TCA class or the newer SNRI. And there are atypical antidepressants like Wellbutrin, Remeron, that can also help. But none of them helped me cause I'm personally too sensitive to medications and have to quit because of severe side effects.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @ AZ Guy for your insight ! I wasn't aware that these could be taken on a long term basis. I guess I will check with my psychiatrist about whether i can take these on a regular basis .

·
Registered
IBS-D
3 Posts
Hey Kenny,

I'm from India and I was prescribed Clonil (Clomipramine) by a psychiatrist in varying doses, starting from 75mg down to 10mg. I used it for 2-3 years, it controlled my symptoms of IBS-D as it slows down bowel movements. It is prescribed for OCD's is what I have read. But I did have episodes here and there once or twice a month. When I finally left it I did have some withdrawal symptoms as it is habit forming I guess. But I have left it for search of a natural or ayurvedic solution. My search is still on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Kenny,

I'm from India and I was prescribed Clonil (Clomipramine) by a psychiatrist in varying doses, starting from 75mg down to 10mg. I used it for 2-3 years, it controlled my symptoms of IBS-D as it slows down bowel movements. It is prescribed for OCD's is what I have read. But I did have episodes here and there once or twice a month. When I finally left it I did have some withdrawal symptoms as it is habit forming I guess. But I have left it for search of a natural or ayurvedic solution. My search is still on. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply . I have also stopped all medication and in search of natural remedy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts