Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few near misses in my time, one being on a school run, and knowing I was not going to find a toilet. Luckily I managed to find a bush and avoid embarrassment. Has anyone actually been in the situation when you have to go and there are no bushes and nothing to hide behind. I suppose this is the worse nightmare of anyone with ibs.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Worrying about your worst case scenario is going to cause anxiety that will make the IBS worse, and I'm sure somewhere in all the world this has happened to someone at sometime. Even healthy people who just happen to get a bad GI bug. Doesn't mean if it ever happened to someone it must happen to you. However if you tend to IBS-D keeping a clean up kit with you isn't a bad idea and sometimes helps people calm down enough to make it to the bathroom if they know they have clean underwear and wet wipes, etc. with them.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
the worse nightmare of anyone with ibs
I find it isn't all that good to ponder 'worst case scenarios' or "worst nightmare" type events. First off, there are times when I haven't made it in my own house! Just the way it is sometimes with me. If I chose to focus on the embarrassment.. I'd be doomed. I choose instead to focus on the fact that there are WAAAAYYY worse things a human can suffer from besides IBS. When I DO have an accident... I don't think... I just clean it up and move on with my day as best I can trying hard to avoid any negative thinking about myself or IBS. I don't want to use my emotions on it.Secondly, I have learned negative thinking leads to more negative thinking. Conversely...
Positive thinking only leads to more positive thinking.I choose to think as positively as I can. And I highly recommend that way of thinking.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It did NOT happen to me (YET) because at my worst, I just stayed home for two years. However, my friend had IBS-D for aout three years and he was a real trooper. He DID keep a clean-up bag and change of clothing in his car at all times. We have a very long highway with nothing for fifty miles or more, and I mean NOTHING, not a bush, not a tree, not a gas station - just endless miles of pavement. He had an "attack" out there and just pulled over, grabbed his babywipes and paper towels and did his biz right on the side of the road. His girlfriend was in the car dying of embarassment. Horns honked, but he just laughed and figured whatever, "When you gotta go, you gotta go." I found this out last week after knowing him for more than 14 years. He never told me he suffered from IBS. I shared with him my fear of the long road and he told this story. I laughed and thought, "If he can be brave and move forward with life even when feeling sick, so can I." I put the clean clothing and clean-up bag in my car and just figure - so what. I have a smaller version in my purse should I have a near miss inside a building. I do always know where the bathrooms are and even where other bathrooms are just in case the one I want is full. My solution, however, was a comprehensive stool analysis finding some pathogens as well as missing flora and a lab called "MOSS Nutrition" where I am able to order specific strains I am missing. Honestly, the more I take of the missing strains, the better and better I feel. Their product has changed my life and given me back a great deal of confidence. Worrying will just make you feel worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OMG! I have had so many embarrassing situations over the years.....yikes! I guess like so many on the board, I too, have a clean up kit. The only time I REALLY worry is when traveling and going to work. What's funny is that I travel a lot (for pleasure) and have had so many accidents that you would think that I would not be anxious anymore and the incidents would stop, but it's the one thing I can't stop being anxious about. I ALWAYS have a backpack/carry on that contains: a Depends or two ( I know....the horror!!!!) and a pair of pants (sweats usually.) However ever since I have been using the Depends for airplane travel I haven't had to use the extra pants. Here's a story: I was in Newark on line for the security check and had to leave the line 5 times (?) At this point, I am on someone's radar for a security breach I am sure. So, on the 6th try (and I am near blacking out with the dehydration, Immodium, and Bentyl I keep consuming) I go up to the security person and say: " I have IBS. You have seen me getting out of line. I NEED to use the bathroom every 5 minutes. Can I PLEASE go ahead of the others?" The man goes: "Ok...you have a medical condition" So, I THINK I may use this on Weds when I get on a flight to NYC. Never thought about being honest and just saying this is how it is. I then ALMOST passed out on the plane and thank my husband for keeping me conscious with ice water down my back and down my throat. What I think happens is that over the years ( I am 40 ) you just get more comfortable talking about IBS and don't care what people think. Although, I'm always learning. Also, how horrific the Depends sounds, I can tell you that you would NEVER know that I am wearing them. In fact, I LOVE clothes and fashion and don't let IBS make me look like a "frump." My stories could go on and on but no one needs to hear it. Keep you heads up and don't let IBS ruin your goals and fun.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Well,it hasn't happened on the middle of the dance floor, or anything; but the process certainly has started in some pretty public places. There was one occasion when I was pooping just off of a trail in a most untraveled spot when a large Husky came up to hassle my tied up Golden. As I was trying to clean myself with some moss while yelling at the dog to get him to retreat, pants. around my knees, along came the woman who owned the dog. It was super embarrassing, but I did live through it. Then there was a similar occasion with the birdwatchers...Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.