Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other names are: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran LightWhen I went this new doc on Monday I begged for symptmatic relief and this is what he gave me. Questran is a drug used to lower colesteral. Mine is fine, but he's using it off label. He says it will help the D and that should help my other symptoms.The package insert says that C is major side effect. I told him I trouble C, so I'm a little worried about taking it. But, as I'm desperate, I've taken two doeses now. It makes me really gassy and supper bloated -- like I swallowed a basketball
Does anyone know anything about this and it's uses???Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the record -- I've already stopped taking it! It was awful! It had horendous bloating and gas, painful, crampy C, and get this... tinitus (ringing in the ears.) My ears were ringing so badly I couldn't stand it. Maybe it will work for someone else, but for me it was a hellish expierence
Liz

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, I tried to post a reply earlier, but don't think it made it. I just wanted to say that I've been on Questran for 3 years now and it has helped my D problem. My problem stems from post gall bladder surgery and I think that Questran is especially helpful to some people in that situation. It doesn't work for a lot of people, but it is worth a try if you haven't tried it yet. I take one dose a day, in the mornings. My husband also takes it now. He has IBS and has tried several other meds that didn't work. This works somewhat for him too, though not as well as it does for me. Hope this helps someone. Kati

·
Registered
39 Posts
Questran is prescribed when the intestine does not absorb bile acids (used in the digestion of fat) properly. Questran binds to these bile acids, and in this way prevents diarrhea. Diarrhea can occur when the bile acids are not properly absorbed.I was prescribed Questran to help with my fat digestion. It made my symptoms and diarrhea worse--its coarse consistency made me feel as if I had swallowed cement; it really "roughed up" my GI tract. From what I have read, Questran does alleviate symptoms, esp. diarrhea, for some people. It sounds, though, as if it's not helping you, Vector. You may want to talk to your doctor about the side-effects you have experienced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.