Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the doctor the other day and she gave me some antidepressant,antianxiety pills, she thought they might calm me down and let me relax a little. im stressed out about a lot of things, and this brings on the D. so i was just wondering if anyone else was treated this way.thankspixy

·
Registered
668 Posts
pixy,My doctor prescribed Librax for me which has a small amount of antianxiety med in it. I take it everyday and it helps to calm the rumbles in the stomach and helps with the D. On really stressful days I have Xanax that my doctor prescribed for me but I am only to take them when really needed. Not everyday. They are great for this and they do help more than the librax on stressful days.------------------Joe[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 04-16-99).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pixy...I was put on an antidepression pill also. It's called Amitryptaline. You didn't mention what pill was given to you. I was told the same thing, that it would calm me down and calm my digestive tract down. I had just been diagnosed with an ulcerated esophagous two weeks before i started getting the big "D". I had the "D" for a week and I couldn't stop it so the Dr. felt that my whole digestive system might have been in spasm do to the anxiety and stress. Thank God it worked for me. It took a few days but the "D" stopped. He asked me to stay on it for 2 months and then get back to him. Don't be afraid to take the medicine. If it doesn't work you go off of them. If it does all the better. My email is listed if you want to talk. Hope you feel better soon....Colleen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was put on Xanax and still am on it. It works fine for me I only seem to need it in the morning. ( My femine side my wife says like morning sickness.) Its hard like they say but try to spend some time for an by tourself in a quiet place. I know thats hard but even 5 minutes really helps. Scotty57 It wont take my password at work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi,I take St.John's Wort and Kava Kava, they are supposed to help with depression and anxiety, I do believe that they help. I'm also taking 10mg of Elavil at bedtime, I used to take 25. I do think that over half of my problem is worry/anxiety related. I hope you have luck with your medication and don't be afraid to take it. My DR. tried to put me on Paxil and I was literally to afraid to take it!!! But I finally agreed to take the Elavil and have had luck!!!Good luck,Keep us informed. What exactly are you taking?Jill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was put on Celexa for depression and Klonopin for anxiety, but those were given to me by a psychiatrist, because I became very anxious and depressed due to my IBS. My gastro doctor gave me lots of meds, but after 2mos I am now on Prevacid only, I do have some backup medicine for stomach/ esophagus/colon spasms and another for nausea which I only take as needed and haven't had to use the backup meds for 1.5 months so far...the psychiatrist stated that his meds may be helping me also...Good Luck! Love...Munchie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pixy - Like Joe, I take Librax. It's only got a small amount of anti-anxiety medication in it, but it's a tranquilzer for your gut. A few months ago when I first got it and have bad D I took it three times a day. Now I only take it when I really need it. It helps me quite a bit. I also take Caltrate (look up older posts, it really helps many with D.) My doc has given me an anti-depressant also, but I'm not taking it. I've got things pretty much under control with dietary changes, Caltrate and relaxation. My anxiety directly effects my gut - almost immediately and I get things really messed up. Relaxation is the key for me. Good luck! karenr------------------

·
Registered
462 Posts
Pixy,yea i have been on Limbitrol for awhile now, it is also an amtidepressant combo with Amitryptiline and Librium in it, it has sedative effects but it gets rid of my horrible anxiety attacks as well as my ibs, i also take Caltrate.I only take one 25mg a day, it used to be two but i am able to take one cause the Clatrate seems to work for my(d)but i need the limbitrol for my tummy.Good luck-feel better-Cadia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pixy- I also use Librax for my stress levels. It has helped in the past but after taking it for so long, its effects are slowing. I found that relaxation techniques and caltrate really help also. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your posts. the pill i was told to take is paxil.ive been on it for about a week now.nothing has happened so far, but i am having trouble sleeping.jillann, you said you were too scared to take paxil, why is that?pixy

·
Registered
668 Posts
pixy,Paxil is not an anti anxiety medicine. It is for depression and one of the side effects is anxiety and nervousness. The following is from the Medscape site about Paxil:USES:This medication is one of a class of drugs called SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) used in the treatment of depression. Paroxetine is also used for treating panic attack and obsessive-compulsive disorders. HOW TO TAKE THIS MEDICATION:Take this medication by mouth exactly as prescribed. This is usually taken once a day in the morning. Initially, your dose may be increased gradually to find the proper amount for you. Do not increase your dose or take this more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medication without first consulting your doctor. SIDE EFFECTS:Stomach upset, nausea, dizziness, headache and blurred vision may occur the first several days as your body adjusts to the medication. Other side effects reported include dry mouth, constipation, diarrhea, appetite changes, tiredness, tremor, nervousness, anxiety, change in sex drive or sexual ability, sweating, altered tastes. If any of these effects become bothersome, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop chest pain, rapid heart rate, vomiting, mental confusion, abnormal thinking, skin rash or breathing trouble while taking this medication. This medication may cause dizziness, drowsiness or blurred vision. Use caution performing tasks requiring alertness and avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages which can aggravate these effects. PRECAUTIONS:This medication should be used only if clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. Since small amounts of this medication are found in breast milk, consult your doctor before breast-feeding. Tell your doctor if you have a pre-existing kidney disease, liver disease, seizure disorder, thyroid disease, history of substance abuse or if you have any allergies. DRUG INTERACTIONS:Tell your doctor of any over-the-counter or prescription medication you may take especially barbiturates, cimetidine, antidepressants, MAO inhibitors (e.g., furazolidone, phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine), sumatriptan, dexfenfluramine, phenytoin, digoxin and warfarin. If you are unsure of the contents or types of medications you take, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Avoid intake of alcohol which can aggravate side effects. NOTES:It may take two to three weeks before the full effects of this medication are observed. Continue taking this medication as prescribed. MISSED DOSE:If you miss a dose, take it as soon as remembered; do not take it if it is near the time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up. STORAGE:Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C) away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom.------------------Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
A warning to those on Xanax...Xanax is highly addictive. If you can find something else that works just as well switch to that med (and there are tons of alternatives available, ex. Buspar). I've known people to get *very* addicted to Xanax and suffer major withdrawls that are worse than their original feelings/anxiety. (They have a name for this med. withdrawl, but I can't think of it...)Please be careful and talk to your doctor about this.Andie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
XANAX IS VERY ADDICTIVE !!! BE CAREFULthe withdrawls for me was really bad where I had to put in the hospital..I lost my eye sight for a couple days coming off of it. And I also became very dependent on it it has a short acting effect therefor but in that time it sure made me feel good when I took it!!I am just not the type to take anything that makes me feel good

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pixy,I am on Prozac which is the same class of drug as Paxil. It is an antidepressant and can cause anxiety as a side effect, but it is also used to treat anxiety disorders. I have an anxiety disorder, and the Prozac has helped tremendously with it! Everyone responds differently to these types of medications. I tried Paxil but was unable to take it, because it made me too listless.As for Xanax, I was on it for close to 10 years. It is VERY addictive and difficult to get off of, however it is possible when done slowly--very slowly. It took me 6 months to get off it completely, so I didn't have a lot of problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pixy, I was put on Paxil last December, and I can tell you it has been a MIRACLE drug for me. I was anxious, had panic attacks, etc., and I think all of it stemmed from my unpredictable colon -- and digestive system in general. It wasn't until after I had been taking the Paxil for about a month that I found out it is given for IBS too! It has calmed my whole system down, but I am not sedated. I sleep MUCH better, can eat better than I ever have, and in general I feel calmer and more in control. I have been told that it is not addictive. I may not have to be on it for much longer...there is some research that says that after a while, your body sort of re-programs itself, and you don't need the drug anymore. I will probably try going off of it in another month or two, and see how it goes. It has been wonderful for me, and I can't say that enough. One thing, though---you probably won't see any results until 2 to 3 weeks have passed. I suggest you give it at least that long....by the time I had been taking it 4 weeks, I REALLY felt better. Great, in fact. Good luck to you.....keep us posted, OK?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pixy and others: I work in a medical office and have the job of dealing with the drug reps. Just because a drug is marketed as an antidepressant does not indicate that the drug will no be helpful for other disorders as well. Both Paxil and Zoloft have been found to be particularly helpful for anxiety and panic disorders and to calm IBS. Yes, they are listed as possible side effects but this is usually just initially as the body adjusts to the drug. I would actually give them a bit longer than 4 weeks to work, more like 6-8. It often takes that long for the drug to do its best work. Good Luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have just been put on amitriptyline by my doctor i'll let you know if it works!ONE PERSONAL QUESTION I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IS THAT NOW-ONE SEEMS TO HAVE MENTIONED IS "APART FROM USUAL SYMPTOMS I SEEM TO GET ACHING AFTER INTERCOURSE AND AFTER BOWEL MOVEMENT IS THIS NORMAL OR COULD IT BE SOMTHING SEPERATE FROM I.B.S."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I take Tranzene and love it. It's been a life-saver, plus the Caltrate PLUS works wonders with it. I have a life again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I take .50 gm of Xanax 3 times/day as all the others (in the antidepressant line) caused me great nervousness. The buspar only worked a wee while.I also take buscopan 4 x/day.to Adarli; Yes, intercourse is often very painful and so remains a "bone" of contention in my private life. You are not alone. Don't forget how close your vagina lies next to your rectum. Activity can certainly cause cramping. It makes sense. Not much fun. Bummer.------------------Audrey

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.